Discuss high readings at (some) socket outlets in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GT1

I'll be pulling the circuit apart anyway..
However, Thought Id run it past the forum before I do.
Been testing today prior to CU change soon.
When testing one of the 2 RFC's at the house all was going well, until i got very high readings at about 4/5 of the socket outlets upstairs.
I was testing for my final R1+R2 figure. I was cross connected as required at the board.
The first few sockets were coming back around 0.45 or so.
Then I started getting readings at 50 ohms...?

The curious thing is, the end to end readings (r1, r2, rn) for the circuit were fine, well below 1 ohm and all as expected..
If i had a poor/loose connection somewhere then I would have thought it would have shown on the end to end readings too..?

The high readings are all quite close to each other, within 4/5 ohms..

As I said I'll be pulling it apart anyway, just wondered if anyone had experienced similar..?

cheers.
GT

Last edited by a moderator:
yes well its been modified over the years. It was originally an upstairs ring but its been extended downstairs into the kitchen for several sockets..!
Its mainly the end to end readings being normal that's thrown me.

Are you plugging in to the sockets to get readings? If so, try pushing the plug in and out a few times to "clean" the contacts which the pins touch. I have had it before where little used sockets have had dirty pins.
Or try unscrewing the fronts and use probes to check your readings.

thanks murdoch.. tried that but no change.. and one of the high readings is at a brand new (6 months old) socket..!

It is just old worn sockets. I do a lot of testing and a few things you find is the right hand side of a double is generally higher reading than the left as this is the side most people use first, just try flicking the switch on the socket a few times and that will bring it down usually if it doesn't the socket requires changing. Nothing more than wear and tear to the sockets

or is it a few sockets spurred off with a poor connection where they come off the RFC?

no single to double conversions and some of the sockets are brand new, some of them about ten years old.
Gave my plug in tester a good twist and a pull in each them too, without change..
The high readings are all on one side of the upstairs too..

My gut feeling is its a fault when additions have been done..

onions.. yeah im sure its not a spur problem either.. waaay to high for that.
Ive found spurs elsewhere on the job and theyre perfectly acceptable readings

Reply to high readings at (some) socket outlets in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net