Discuss high voltage fire in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Janwatt,
great video.

ok this is a guess, however I would say that the pole that supports the metal and so is earthed.
a cable going from the pole that you a=can see going onto the next pole has become damaged, and has broken.

The live cable has fallen down and has hit the Earthed pole, and when is strikes the pole you see a pop/flash.
The circuit protection is to large and as a result the cable melts and is kicked off the pole.
Gravity takes over and so it strikes again, and this is repeated.

each time there is a strike the cable is melted and so is shorted a bit.
as the cable and the pole is melted at each strike, heat is generated and the insulation on the cable melts which creates the fire

I am guessing this is what's happening, but from what I've seen

BTW a great fine on u tube

I remember years ago I was testing (pre work) an old type vacuum cleaner where the flex enters at the top of the handle via a cord protector just under the grip that you hold. Plugged it in and it ran fine but the flex had broken in the protector and in a few mins of it running the protector was on fire and there were actual flames burning my hand. The vacuum was still running as the 13amp plug fuse was holding (no rcds/mcbs in them days). Dodgy connections and short circuits cause fires even in the home in the right/wrong situation.

Looks like there’s no protection for the tee off cable. In the UK blow out fuses would be fitted. OH line protection is very course to stop nuisance tripping.

One interesting thing is you can see the magnetic effects of a fault current. Watch the two bottom conductors, each time there is a flash over they try to pull towards each other.

Reply to high voltage fire in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock