Discuss High voltage plug sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If you are sure you are getting voltage as high as 270V then you must notify the DNO. They are duty bound to do something about it within six months. I advise notifying them by registered mail as I know of cases that have dragged on for years as the date they were notified could not be proven.

If you are getting 270V, being 40V over nominal and 17V over the maximum permitted voltage, this should be reported by phone to the DNO as a matter of urgency. They will generally treat such as an emergency and send an operative to site to verify within a couple of hours.

An extreme over-voltage will normally be rectified quickly, whereas the more common 'same time of day' over- and under-voltages recurrences can take a week or so, as the DNO will usually log 2 or 3 days' data at the head to take away and analyse, before tapping down/up at the transformer.

@R-fur where does the six months come from?

I wonder if the OP got this sorted. The thread is over 2 months old.

I measured voltage in a house with my multimeter... got 292v !!

Checked again with calibrated tester - 242v....
Had me worried for a minute.

Flake 99 vs Fluke 117
Is there much in it?
They're both yellow... :D

A typo and the number 18. That’s the difference.

No, my little multimeter is just a cheap thing from amazon but I’ve had it a good number of years. Digital readout, buzzer continuity tester...
I used it for electronics at college... along with a soldering iron and a little tool kit with screwdrivers and snips.
I keep it in the bottom of the toolbox just for quick continuity tests of fuses, cable identification etc.

TonyMitchell
I understand that the regulator puts the six month time limit on voltage complaints, if the DNO does not fix out of tolerance voltages in that time they can be penalised.
I havent checked this recently but a couple of years ago I got involved with a farmer, his wind turbine would not generate as the farm voltage was too high so he was loosing revenue. I got the customer to send a registered letter and the issue was resolved by adjusting the taps on the transformer. The time limit is more relevant for low voltage complaints as the DNO may have to invest time and money upgrading plant. I know of customers fed by a bit of wet string who have argued for years with the DNO.

This thread is a bit old, any new from @Alison about a resolution?

All UK electrical equipment should work, by design, from 216-253V as that is the official range of voltages (230V +10% -6%). Outside of that is probably a fault, certainly out of specification, and the electricity supplier needs to find and fix it.

Reply to High voltage plug sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock