Discuss High voltage plug sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Alison

-
Reaction score
Recently changed plug sockets and light switches. Have noticed before this was done we were burning through light bulbs.

A few of our plug sockets are high voltage 250 -270.

Any ideas

If you have 270 V between live and neutral then yes, that is a little high. How did you measure this?

Recently changed plug sockets and light switches. Have noticed before this was done we were burning through light bulbs.

Any ideas

250V is normal for the UK, this is what most substations are set up to supply.
270V is above the normal limits and if this has been measured with an accurate calibrated meter you should contact your distribution network operator ASAP to report the fault.

As far as I know no but I do know one of them might as they r changing alot within there house

You and your neighbour both need to contact your supplier. Let us know what they say.

Its k I know I'm not an electrician. Just trying to figure this out as we have been trying to solve it all day and beginning to wonder if it's a larger issue

Any ideas
That's not HV, just higher than normal LV voltage, what were/are you measuring the Voltage with?

It may not be your next-door neighbour but the house a few doors down that is on the same supply phase as you that has the problem as well.
We were doing a school a few years ago where the emergency light fittings kept on burning out this was due to the voltage at the fittings being 250v+ we contacted the lighting manufacturer who said that the fitting gear was up to 250v so got in touch with Weston Power who altered the windings at the sub-station.

We used a calibrated multi metre for measuring

How recent was the last calibration?
Ideally you would check the test results with another calibrated meter to double check the results.

Anything over 253V is above the normal limits and could indicate a problem, there are certain faults which can cause the voltage to rise at some properties and fall at others which can be very dangerous, you should contact your DNO and report the fault.

One thing which has been known to cause this problem is the theft of the copper N-E from a substation.

Reply to High voltage plug sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock