Discuss High Ze causing headache ! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Any advice/ pointers would be appreciated 😉

Have ‘pretty big’ new build house we’re wiring from scratch.

New supply in from DNO is PME, but we have Ze of 0.51 😕

Are DNO obliged to keep this under 0.35?

Wouldn’t be that much of an issue normally if regular size house and meter was attached to house.

Before we came along on the scene Client had separate garage block built, meter permanently sited in here.

We’ve run a SWA sub-main across to house DB 25metres away, but struggling on suitable overcurrent protection. Even at 80amps BS 88…. Max EFLI 0.40!

Don’t really want to be putting new build on TT system, if it comes to it.

Thank you
Sy

Two 60A / 63A sub-mains, to two separate DBs in the house, circuits suitably divided between them! 😆

if disconnection times cannot be achieved by the Breakers then residual current devices can be used.

no need to TT. a PME with a slightly high Ze gives a far better EFLI than any TT could achieve.

although a combination of earth rod and pme may be in order in case of dropped neutrals, but that’s a whole different thread on an abandoned proposed reg change.

Have you spoken to the DNO about it.
They might sort it out.
Did raise my concerns with Client before Xmas.... DNO apparently came out straight away (I wasn't on site) said no problem all fine !

Re-checked last week still 0.51😠

I'm going to raise it myself again directly with them, making sure I'm onsite when (if) they re-visit.

if disconnection times cannot be achieved by the Breakers then residual current devices can be used.

no need to TT. a PME with a slightly high Ze gives a far better EFLI than any TT could achieve.
Thanks Pete

How does that work with my 80amp sub-main supply though max EFLI is 0.40 for BS-88 ?

My thinking for TT as an option, was if so could then put all on an RCD (time delayed for sub / house db rcbo's) and use 1667 for max ZS values.

Maybe I'm missing something - has been long week!

Thanks Pete

How does that work with my 80amp sub-main supply though max EFLI is 0.40 for BS-88 ?

My thinking for TT as an option, was if so could then put all on an RCD (time delayed for sub / house db rcbo's) and use 1667 for max ZS values.

Maybe I'm missing something - has been long week!
Yes, time delayed rcd on distribution circuits, standard rcd on final circuits - rcds as fault protection.

No need to convert to TT

leave it as TN-C-S and you can still use 0.4s / 5s but add rcd as fault protection where required.

So if the cable from the meter location to cu fails to operate in 5s due to fault, add a time delayed rcd.

If any final circuit fails to operate in 0.4s due to fault add a standard rcd.

If a circuit will operate within these times, then a rcd is not required for fault protection, but may be required for additional protection.

You also need to consider the protection for L-N faults which won't be covered by adding RCD's. This often gets missed.

If you have a circuit that has cpc size equal or greater than the neutral and you have inadequate fault current to operate ocpd fast enough with regard to thermal constraints, then you will have same issue with L-N faults. You can add RCD to cover the L-E fault protection, but L-N will not be covered.

Last edited:
You also need to consider the protection for L-N faults which won't be covered by adding RCD's. This often gets missed.
Yes, you still need overcurrent protection for fault protection, and where necessary overload protection, but there is no requirement to achieve the same trip time.

You also have to achieve voltage drop limits etc, etc - basically all the other requirements remain in place.

Using rcd for fault protection is merely a technique to achieve ads

The disconnection times only need to be met for L-E faults, as far as the regs are concerned anyway. Though interestingly there is something in the OSG that leads you to believe they do need to be met for L-N faults. I'll find a page number...

Reply to High Ze causing headache ! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock