Discuss Hiya just a quick question in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

montybaber

I had a phone call from my brother yesterday saying he got a job to fit an electric shower for someone and he wondered whether I fancied the electrical work.

Well I do the odd job here and there, im very picky and only do non notifyable work, but really with the work im getting asked to do things have to change.

I have no problem doing the work all to 17th, I normally borrow a fluke 1651 from work to test (will buy one eventually) now thinking about this job it could possibly be a job I can get assessed for by elecsa etc.

Now obviously it will be notifyable work so I will need to get in touch with BC and pay the fee, will the customer pay? or do I do a very cheap job to factor this in? is this work ok for assesment?

I dunno quite scary!! not the work at all (god the stuff I do everyday, fitting a shower is nothin!!) but the red tape etc

If you are thinking of using the job for assessment have a chat with the customer, with your brother there. Inform him of the legal requirement to notify the work to building control and the cost implecations of this.
If he is ok, which I should think he is likely to be, charge him a fair price for the actual work and tell him the reason you are prepared to do it at a reasonable rate is because you wish to use the job for a professional assessment.

Yeah thats preety much what I plan to do, obviously its unfair to charge anymore for the work just because I cant self-certify.

I will go through it with the customer and if they are ok i'll go for it

How do I go about it lol, I have no idea costs etc

If you ring building control about this job they will tell you what the charges are. Ask them to send you a copy of their scale of charges too as some local authorities scale their charges according to the cost of the work being carried out.

If you ring building control about this job they will tell you what the charges are. Ask them to send you a copy of their scale of charges too as some local authorities scale their charges according to the cost of the work being carried out.

Hi Monty. The above applies to Weymouth and Portland BC. The cheapest fee is for work of less than £1000.00 and is £100.00+VAT.

If you send me a PM i will walk you through the process.

Reply to Hiya just a quick question in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock