Discuss Hiya! Needing Ceiling fan help for vaulted ceiling in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

HomeDIYer

Hi all, we are looking forward to a vaulted ceiling in our new bedroom after some work on the house. We want to install a ceiling fan for those rare warm summer days (wishful thinking, I know), but it's difficult to find one with a long enough drop to avoid the blades hitting the sides of the roof. Ideally, for the room, we would need a 3 foot drop. We bought a Westinghouse ceiling fan and rang customer service, who said we can't use their 3 foot extension rod and we shouldn't use a coupler to join to extension rods - these options are only for US ceiling fans. However, they wouldn't give a reason why we couldn't couple rods in the UK and seemed to be trying to get rid of me, so, frankly, I don't believe them. I can't see why a coupler and 2 extension rods wouldn't work. Is anyone able to give any tips on what to do or even an explanation for why it wouldn't work here? Really appreciate any help!

why not just buy a floor mounted portable fan. this can then be stored away for most of the year.

Hi, when you say "coupler rod",what do you mean? Are they screwed together?

...The manufacturer may have watched the Chandelier episode of Only Fools and Horses...

Hi,the manufacturer does sell 36" extension poles,in this country,but maybe only suitable for certain models of fan,

You could change the fan,or mount it at an angle,and have a WWII fighter plane theme,going on,in the bedroom;)

If i had to guess,it may have something to do with the supplied cord length,between the fan,and the mount.
This would limit the drop distance,without modifying,an obviously new item.

A competent spark,could do this modification,but all bets would then be off,in regards to warranty,approvals,etc

It may also be for purely mechanical reasons. It only takes a small imbalance in the blades to create a wobble and at the end of a long pole you're suddenly exerting quite large force on the mountings. I'd take heed of the manufacturers advice as has already been suggested.

What about an alternative of a nice feature cross member between the two sides?

It may also be for purely mechanical reasons. It only takes a small imbalance in the blades to create a wobble and at the end of a long pole you're suddenly exerting quite large force on the mountings. I'd take heed of the manufacturers advice as has already been suggested.

Hey,leave it out...I've already given the OP a viable bedroom re-model tip :)

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies! A coupler is almost like a necklace that both rods can be inserted and screwed into so that they become one big pole, PEG. Here's an example from a quick search: (CC-KVCOUPLER-BRZ) Western Ceiling Fan Coupler Kit - http://wildwestliving.com/western-ceiling-fan-coupler-kit-cckvcouplerbrz.html
From what I saw online, sometimes a longer drop can stabilise the fan, but I was wondering if this might be an issue. Love the WWII option SparkyChick! We are going with a propeller industrial style fan, maybe my 2 boys can volunteer their toy guns . . .
Normally, I would completely heed the advice of the manufacturer, but I felt that I was speaking to a customer service agent who didn't want to give me any help, not an expert. When I suggested a coupler, the response was literaly, "no, don't use one." Plus, when I asked why, I didn't get a response.
Also, the drop rods have extension wires in them, so it could all link up.
Where did you find the extension rod in the UK, PEG, I could only find one on Amazon, so I wasn't sure if it was okay here or just a refashioned US one.
Also, I'm incredibly clumsy, so would rather not have a portable fan in it's place.

but if the member was cross to start with, fixing a fan to it would make it extremely angry.

or you could employ the services of a punka wallah.

Just a quick note to the OP, you mention those rare warm summer nights. Your new vaulted ceiling provides extra space for that to dissipate up to. Are you sure you want to be then blowing that back down on you ????. If anything it will probably be more use in winter to circulate warm air back down into the room.

Just a quick note to the OP, you mention those rare warm summer nights. Your new vaulted ceiling provides extra space for that to dissipate up to. Are you sure you want to be then blowing that back down on you ????. If anything it will probably be more use in winter to circulate warm air back down into the room.
reverse the fan then with that switch that you can't reach

Think the concept is, recirculate the air in summer, and direct downwards in winter. That's the concept anyhow's.

Many uses for it, good point, I think I can switch the direction with the remote for the seasons.
Thanks for the fantasia link Midwest! They don't have the diameter I need for the Westinghouse fan, but it does make me feel better that they are happy to sell 3-4 ft extension rods in the UK.

Good luck. From personnel experience, some of these fans are a nightmare to balance; if the blades are correctly set, the whole thing oscillates, and makes a right noise. Apart from not setting the blades correctly angled and in plane, unlevel ceilings are can be the cause of this, so hanging fan on an extension rod, might address this issue? But I would only consider a high quality product, or the fan might turn into a whirling dervish :)

Thanks everyone! I'm finally getting responses from the manufacturer asking for links to the products I want to use. I think a coupler with the Westinghouse rods will be the most likely to work since all the wiring and parts are meant to go together, I'll update if they come back with anything different.

Reply to Hiya! Needing Ceiling fan help for vaulted ceiling in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net