Discuss hiya new to this but needing help as my electrician has let me down....... in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

carolmcg

been trawling the internet over xmas trying to see who can help and I found you. hope you can assist with my question.....my shower switch has melted the cabling and I replaced it with another 45a switch (main wall outside bathroom). The replacement has now also melted after 4 months. I have now purchased a 50a double gang socket and was wondering if I needed to change my circuit breaker - hager 32a at present. My cooker circuit breaker is 40a. The shower is 7.5kw. thanks

PS how do you post properly on this ?

mate, seriously u need to call a professional to check out why it is melting. a 7.5kw shower should not be melting a 45A shower switch unless there is an underlying problem. I cannot comment anymore on this, apart from leave well alone and call a spark.

the advice I have been given is that the single socket is too cramped and the cables have rubbed the insulation off

the advice I have been given is that the single socket is too cramped and the cables have rubbed the insulation off

If this is some sort of wind up then please stop now.

If it is not and in this instance if your 'electrician' has let you down......please contact another one.

look, replacing a switch for a bigger one is not the answer. how long is the cable run, where is it run, is it rcd protected? why is it melting? why has the breaker not tripped? how big is the cable? the list is endless!

How? Cables shouldn't move inside any back box.......if they are, something is wrong.

Secondly, a double gang back box won't accommodate a single gang switch.

There is an issue with the current running through the cable/switch if it is melting. Quite possibly you have some kind of short circuit somewhere, which isn't being identified by any protective devices you might have installed.

Are the cables themselves burned/blackened/brittled in any way?

When you say switch melted - perhaps a pic?

As others have said, it seems time to call a proper electrician in, for your own safety if nothing else - dangerous electrics round something like a shower, is a serious matter, and not one I'd be prepared to risk in my home.

should say it was a diy hut which said socket was cramped not a properly qualified electrician. that is why i am seeking advice. hope this is ok.

of course it is ok to seek advice, u def in the right place.................and the advice is seek a professional. leave alone until looked at.

hope this helps

now purchased double switch, double dry lining box.

the original switch itself was single and had play to it, it was moved to decorate - despite saying paint round it!

the cables are brittle - melted through. Earth wires are perfectly in tact.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont want to call a new electrician unless I know what we are both talking about. would never compromise on safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont want to call a new electrician unless I know what I and he is talking about.

As a qualified electrician I'm sure he would.

My own opinion is that when you last changed the switch, the connections were not fully tightened leading to a high resistance connection causing a build up of heat.

As this is the second time it has happened I reccomend the circuit being fully inspected and tested by a qualified electrician.

now purchase double switch, double dry lining box.

the original switch itself was single and had play to it, it was moved to decorate - despite saying paint round it!

the cables are brittle - melted through. Earth wires are perfectly in tact.

If the cables are brittle the problem is more than just the switch.

There is possibly a load problem somewhere on the cable, and it NEEDS to be investigated from breaker to switch before it is used again. The shower needs to be looked at too.

In principle, a 32A breaker, via a 45A pull switch, should be fine with a 7.5kW shower - and if you've melted two switches already there's either a fault on the cable or in the shower unit.

Seriously, call an electrician - and by all means, whatever he says, post on here - we'll soon tell you if he's talking rubbish or not, being reasonable on cost or not.

Of course, there are electricians on here all over the UK - one is very probably close to you, and using such would give you the advantage of come back through the forum if you're not happy. Just a thought.

thanks for this - will try to see if anyone in my area is open. holidays today.

it is an off, on switch rather than a pull cord and the casing began to heat up after using it. the circuit blew yesterday and when i unscrewed the switch there is a blackened mess.

thanks for this - will try to see if anyone in my area is open. holidays today.

it is an off, on switch rather than a pull cord and the casing began to heat up after using it. the circuit blew yesterday and when i unscrewed the switch there is a blackened mess.

Understand - same applies really though whichever type of switch.

What area are you in - as I say, sure there are guys on today who might be able to help - someone is bound to be local.

Hi, im sure there will be an electrician willing to work today, you could try the competant person website which lists all part p regisitered electricians. You can do a search using your postcode to find someone local.

i am in the g83 area

That's up Arrochar way is it not? I used to get up that way a lot as a kid!

Pop a post in the forum asking if any of the Scots lads are available. I know there are a few on here.

Make the title something like "Electrician Needed G83 area" - you should get a reply.

Reply to hiya new to this but needing help as my electrician has let me down....... in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock