Discuss HMO Fire Alarm Recomendation in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

James Hewitt

I need to install a fire alarm system to a three storey building HMO.

The council has specified an Automatic Fire Detection System to comply with British Standards 5839: Part 1 2013 and Part 6: 2013 and to provide Grade A, LD2 coverage. Floor plan attached.

I have read that Fike systems are not recommended as they can give faults and issues later. The supplier is recommending Zeta brand ID2 panel. If any installers can recommend a good reliable and simple to install and program brand and system. Also, if you can recommend a supplier.

We are planning to install the panel in the hallway, 4 call points at each exit and landings, heat detector in both Kitchens, smoke alarms in all rooms except bathroom and WCs and a smoke detector by the gas and electric meter under the stairs.

We though strobe lights would be good to install on the landings in case there is anyone that is hard of hearing or wishes to ignore the alarm.

Here is the list of items that we obtained a quote for but intend to find a different brand as mentioned above.
1 x Twinflexpro 8 Zone Panel
11 x Twinflex ASD Detector With Sounder
4 x Fike Twinflex Manual Call Point
2 x Sealed Lead Acid Batteries (3.4 Ah, 12V DC VDS
2 x No Burn 2 Core x 1.5mm Red Cable 100m Reel
1 x Secure Mains Safety Isolator Switch
3 x Twinflex Flashpoint

Any comments are appreciated.

View attachment 35817

ZETA's are very simple with installations , but they are more expensive than FIKE. whenever Your price catch a "budget" look for FIKE , I know what people talking about, but if You will install them properly they will never make You trouble.

The council have given you two requirements Part 1 & Part 6 This suggests the main fire alarm is to cover all circulation areas, such as landings staircases and main kitchen only. Rooms will be standard mains operated smokes non interlinked. (confirm this before installation with council)
Most reliable and easiest systems to suit are Kentec 2 wire or kentec alarmsense, c-tec also do a version of Alarm sense.
This will allow devices and sounders on one zone cable, would suggest base sounders for ease of installation. With building being zoned as 1. main hallway, 2. kitchen, 3. Loft.
items require, control panel, 5 call points, 5 optical smokes, 1 heat, aico mains optical smoke in each room.
Hope this helps

Thanks for the promt replies and tips, will query with the council on the smoke alarms.

May make sense to just install with the alarm panel and link to the system or are mains smoke alarms wired by looped off a nearby light.

Attached is the notice they served with the spec.

The Zeta board is cheaper than Fike but dubious as looks like a chinese import but will check the other brands as Kentec seems a bigger brand.

Anyone recommend the Zeta Infinity ID2 panel?

View attachment 35820

View attachment 35821

we install Zeta ID2 systems at whole WOLESLEY's branches / pipe center, plumb center/ over North and Midlands and its quite good systems but it was more expensive than FIKE / 2015/

How was wiring and programming for the Zeta ID2? Do you find that a loop system is better and did you need to program each detector and call point.

How was wiring and programming for the Zeta ID2? Do you find that a loop system is better and did you need to program each detector and call point.
its very easy :
-all appliances / smoke det+sound +light and break glass / on the same single line/
-not necessary resistor on last point
- programming with smartphone app

quick and easy , but not cheap

Spoke to council said they want all smoke detectors wired to the fire alarm panel.
This is why I prompted the question to confirm, as not all councils are singing off the same hyme sheet. This dwelling now has the potential of false alarms. Hence most councils insist on mains solo alarms in occupied rooms to part 6 and main alarm coverage to part 1. Problem now is you will have to zone each room for identification. So a single loop addressable panel will cut down on cabling and installation time C-tec 16 zone 1 loop are about the cheapest, kentec syncro, advanced mx or Morley DXc will all do the job with Apollo xp95 or Hochiki ESP....Im not to sure Zetz id2 meets EN54 2013, as most met only 1988 they were taken off the market, but electrical wholsellers still have pallet fulls of fike and other non compliant alarms they want to get rid of.

Thanks, the person commissioning said to go for the alarm sense as well or c-tec.

Here is the zeta brochure mentions EN54, are they the relevant parts. As the panel and equipment will be less than an addressable c-tec but is the Zeta 8 zones enough?

View attachment 35842

Technically you can get away with a zone per floor, and would comply with BS5839, but this not going to give any much information now there are smokes in occupied rooms. 2 wire will require a cable to each room, which is a lot of work. A single loop cable will cover the whole building. A Kentec Syncro or C-tec single loop 16 zone panel around £300 Hochiki sounder base and smoke detector/heat £45 each and call points £30 each....so your looking at £900 + vat plus cable & labour using addressable system

Reply to HMO Fire Alarm Recomendation in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net