Discuss Hmo fire alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Tapouchoke

Hi folks

I am in the process of pricing for a fire alarm job 10self-contained flats over 3 floors. A 12 zone conventional fire alarm system have proposed

LD2
System incorporating alarms in all circulation spaces
that form part of the Escape Routes, & all rooms/areas
excluding Bathrooms, Shower rooms & toilets, where a
high risk of fire exists to occupants.

I.e. smoke& sounder in hall also heat in kitchen optical smoke in lounge of each flat

Each floor of communal area Optical smoke and break glass & break glass@ exsits

As no specification has been given to me from the client
Have asked client to get full fire risk assessment on building
To you think that what I have per posed will achieve LD2 so I can certify it AS AM NICEIC CONTRACTOR AND THE NICEIC DON’T REALLGIVE MUCH ADVISE ON THIS SUBJECT

All advice appreciated
Thanks for taking time to read post

Cheers

:confused:

hi tapout

first thing i would do is contact the building inspector for his requirements.
i have just done a similar job and it included the following as required by the building inspector.

1)each flat to have normal domestic mains powered smoke/heat detectors independant from any other flat/common area.
2)common area hallway/landing etc to have dedicated fire panel
3)automatic smoke vents to common area windows that open when fire panel goes into fire mode.
4)firemans overide switch to manually open/close smoke vents next to entrance.

hth

matt

Hi.

I'd agree with Matt, mains powered battery back up domestic smokes and heats in each flat. With the communal areas a full blown addressable system with panel, call points, sounders (1 in each flat also), beacons, interfaces for any mechanical plant valves i.e gas, lift, ventillation equipment etc.

Cheers.

I spoke to fire safe recently about a job much the same as yours. They propose 4 zone panel, zone per floor (flats only). Then fourth zone to cover communal areas. This is the cheaper option as apposed to full adressable system. My local authority have no problems with this proposal.

id also go for the 4 zone conventional like johnsparks and possibly combined smoke sounders in the flats i think you have to achieve certain decibel levels at the bed heads but would have to check that

cheers folks

you need to have 75db @the bed head ,dont think you would acheeve this whith mains detectors if wasent in the room that you where sleeping

was under the immpression that a ld2 system was required for HMO propertys but went to one today and the property had as lenny described commuinals coverd by conventonal pannel with smokes and breakglasses mains smoke in hall and mains heat in kitchen it seens lke a gray area???

thanks much appricated

TapouT

I would go for a Mixed System of Conventional Panel supplying......

Communal Areas..........Optical smokes
Communal areas/Landings & exit routes...........Break Glass units
Communal areas.........Sounders
Any Communal lounges......Ionization smokes
Entrance Hall of each Flat..........Heat detector & Sounder

Each Flat.........Mains/Battery Smoke or heat alarms {interlinked inside each flat}...as required

This system gives protection from nuisance alarms for all other flats when one flat burns the toast etc...BUT gives a Full alarm to All areas via the heat detector if a fire situation occurs...

I have used this set up with minimal Nuisance activation recorded.......and happy tenants..

One word of advice though ! put it to the licensing authority first.

spark 1:)

I would go for a Mixed System of Conventional Panel supplying......

Communal Areas..........Optical smokes
Communal areas/Landings & exit routes...........Break Glass units
Communal areas.........Sounders
Any Communal lounges......Ionization smokes
Entrance Hall of each Flat..........Heat detector & Sounder

Each Flat.........Mains/Battery Smoke or heat alarms {interlinked inside each flat}...as required

This system gives protection from nuisance alarms for all other flats when one flat burns the toast etc...BUT gives a Full alarm to All areas via the heat detector if a fire situation occurs...

I have used this set up with minimal Nuisance activation recorded.......and happy tenants..

One word of advice though ! put it to the licensing authority first.

spark 1:)

cheers mate
really helpfull

the problem with having any part of the communal fire alarm in the flats is that everyone will rush out at the same time.
i would be interested to hear the outcome tapout if you get the time to post.

cheers

the problem with having any part of the communal fire alarm in the flats is that everyone will rush out at the same time.
i would be interested to hear the outcome tapout if you get the time to post.

cheers

What is the alternative ? phased evacuation perhaps ? not really necessary in this instance....what woud you suggest ?

I'm doing a two storey building which requires a mixed grade D system , how is this wired?

Reply to Hmo fire alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock