Discuss HNC Elec. engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mikey

Has anyone done a hnc in electrical engineering or does anyone have any experience with this qualification? My company is keen for me to do the course but I dont know much about it and what sort of career oppertunities this will open for me, Iv heard its extremely difficult and takes alot of time, is it worth all the hard work? Thanks in advance folks.

I don't know about now, but it used to be a 2 or 3 year, 1 day and 2 nights a week course.

Yes it is worth all the hard work, it can put you on the ladder run to management. It has taken many to much higher things, that would have not been possible without this qualification.
I think Malcolm is HNC qualified among others here. That qualification has enabled him to work in the Middle East and else where.

Listen, ...if your company is paying you to take this qualification grab this opportunity with both hands, there aren't many companies prepared to invest in employee's improvment and education these days. In fact in this day and age in UK your one lucky so and so!! lol!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about now, but it used to be a 2 or 3 year, 1 day and 2 nights a week course.

Yes it is worth all the hard work, it can put you on the ladder run to management. It has taken many to much higher things, that would have been possible without this qualification.
I think Malcolm is HNC qualified among others here. That qualification has enabled him to work in the Middle East and else where.

Listen, ...if your company is paying you to take this qualification grab this opportunity with both hands, there aren't many companies prepared to invest in employee's improvment and education these days. In fact in this day and age in UK your one lucky so and so!! lol!!!

as e54 says,grab it,you wont get that chance again,

Done my HNC Electrical Engineering / Mechatronics a few years back. Done 2 years to get my NC then a further 2 to get my HNC. Must admit it is a head turner on the CV but up to now it has not really taken me to new heights although I am hoping it does help in the future as I am only 25 at the moment I feel that nobody would give me a serious shot at management etc. yet.

As engineer above says you should most definitely go for it if your company is willing to pay, that's what i done.

The thing is you will also learn a lot about the engineering side of things such as pneumatics and hydraulics as well as in depth electrical / electronic stuff such as PLCs so this will qualify you for a wide spectrum of jobs ...GO FOR IT!!!

I completed my NC and HNC in Electrical/Electronic Engineering which was part of my apprenticeship over 4 years, i found it very interested although there was alot of maths involved especially on the higher electronics modules but its well worth it.

I wanted to do the HNC but was told I needed to do a NC first as I had been out of education for a while. So I did the NC and finished it, only to be told the college was not running the HNC (2 year course) and were now running the Foundation degree in electrical and electronic engineering (3 year course) anyway I finished it 2 years ago and now they are back to running the HNC (18 month course) so I took 5 years to get a qual that sounds like I dropped out of a degree course and not many have heard of !! Still it is equivilent to an HND. Oh and yes it was bloody hard work.

Thanks for the replys guys.

My question is how much previous knowledge do you need in all the different units, for example i know hardly anything on electronics, so will it start at a basic level or do i need a good understanding before hand?

Cheers :D

The first thing you need to look at is your maths.

It needs to be at least A level standard or you'll end up in a whole world of pain, if they even let you start the course.

I left school after my GCSE's, and although they were very favourable in all subjects, I am still required to sit the maths bridging module before I start the course proper.

Reading material I've got so far is, Engineering Mathematics by John Bird & Electrical Engineering, International Version 6th edition by Allan Hambley.

Where are you at maths wise at the moment??

Thanks Lenny, thats really useful mate.

My maths at the moment is probably not too hot i got a b at gcse level but that was a long time ago. A firend of mine doing the course is getting a maths tutor and recommended i do the same. This was my plan however now I know iv got alot of preparation time it may be worth doing evening classes first etc but I had underestimated this aspect. What do you suggest? Il have to find out from the college their requirements for the course.

Im going to buy the books on the next paypack, much appreciated.

Any other tips on preparation and background knowledge is much appreciated.

Cheers

Thanks for the replys guys.

My question is how much previous knowledge do you need in all the different units, for example i know hardly anything on electronics, so will it start at a basic level or do i need a good understanding before hand?

Cheers :D

sorry mate, but it will not start at a basic level, you will be expected to be up to speed to level3+ in ,say electronics for example, the lecturers have the bare minimum time to teach the curriculum as it is and don't have the time to teach the basics, you'll be expected to know them. thats not to say a good lecturer wont spend the first hour or whatever going through a recap of what you should know when beginning a new unit. on the other hand, subjects like business management and perhaps engineering design will start at a basic level as you wont be expected to have much experience,
so just to recap, it will and won't start at a basic level, hope thats clear:D.

Ok thanks. The course doesnt start til next sept, so il speak to the college and see if i can get up to speed by then. Iv got a level 3 in elec install but electronics is a grey area.

You can tailor your HNC to where your strengths lie.

There are modules that deal with electrical power & distribution etc, that you could aim for, rather than the PLC/electronics one's.

You can tailor your HNC to where your strengths lie.

There are modules that deal with electrical power & distribution etc, that you could aim for, rather than the PLC/electronics one's.
or fall hook, line and sinker for the marketing ploy! oh dear!

read it Lenny, you sound like an advert for a qualification you ainted got.

Dont quite know what you angle is here TBH, the guy asked for advice so I'm doing my best to help him with what I've gleaned so far.

Also, that was the advice YOU gave me when I first thought about doing the HNC a while back!

Reply to HNC Elec. engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net