CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Hob cable outside then in in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Evening All another odd question (I love my customers)

There’s no 10mm or 6mm cable in their kitchen, apparently when it was wired there were all 13amp eco appliances. Anyway a new couple have bought it and want a 5 ring hob installed but the kitchen is done to a high standard so they don’t want trunking or walls chased (kitchen in single story extension. The board and job location are on the outside wall. Can I run a 6/10 mom cable through the wall outside the back inside for for the hob connections obv the cable would be aremourd or SY. Is this doable or is it a case of no can do

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Not understanding the question. Are you asking if a cable can be run outside ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Basically asking can I run the cable from the board inside, through the wall clip the cable to the outside then bring it back in where the hob location is and connect up. So basically the cooker feed with run outside then back in

Is it a concrete floor?
Sometimes a customer just needs telling point blank......if you want something doing you got to be prepared for mess ie chases or ugly mech protection on show...... we're Sparky's not magicians.

mattg4321

-
Arms
Esteemed
Don't use SY.

Why would running armoured be a problem?

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Basically asking can I run the cable from the board inside, through the wall clip the cable to the outside then bring it back in where the hob location is and connect up. So basically the cooker feed with run outside then back in
Where is your quandry based ? "Are cables allowed to be run outside ?"is quite an odd question.

You can't do that with Swa mate unless you use ''ugly' gewiss boxes what a faff on.

Where is your quandry based ? "Are cables allowed to be run outside ?"is quite an odd question.
Andy I think he's saying how's best to tackle job when you got dumb clients who don't want their fancy kitchen getting a bit messy.

Don't use SY.

Why would running armoured be a problem?
For a domestic hob?

Yeah basically I’m asking is it allowed in the rgs. To bring a cable outside then back in for an internal appliance. I could be asking could I run a cable from point a in to point b which are both inside but the cable connecting them is outside of the building

Yeah I don’t mind housing swa or conduit I just need to know if it acceptable to do. I know it won’t look the best the cooker supply running outside but thsts my only option

Agree with post #6 ... SY is likely to be come uv damaged in time not practical for the job, ... why not conduit?
Can you get 6mm or 10mm singles? :grimacing:

I've only ever used 10mm for earth bonding

Last edited:

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
the best way of put cable to the hob would be in white conduit then black Swa , because it will look pleasing to. the eye .but thats me.

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
the best way of putting cable to the hob would be in white conduit then black Swa , because it will look pleasing to. the eye .but thats me.

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
I would consider using conduit as it would look tidier than cable. If it’s a straight run black enamel looks good.

No I’m not asking isit accetabke to run a cable outside, all I’m asking is can I run thrnsupllt to my cooker from the board outdidd then in as it’s the only route

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
No I’m not asking isit accetabke to run a cable outside, all I’m asking is can I run thrnsupllt to my cooker from the board outdidd then in as it’s the only route
are you asking has a customer or a spark?

Yes I know that im just asking can I run a job supply outside instead on inside: if the only thing that’s wrong is that it looks unsightly

D

Deleted member 105166

What’s on the outside wall, Scott? I.e. how visible would cabling or conduit be? Can it be hidden with trellace etc?

Is there a regulation I'm not aware of that says you can't run supplies to hobs in armoured?

I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

If it can be glanded into say a metal clad 45A switch in a sensible place, then what's the problem?
'wheres that in the regs'?
I never mentioned it's against the regs did i...?
I'm just saying really use swa on a domestic cooker hob? industrial type setup that.....like I say sometimes common sense should provail and you have to put your foot down with a customer and tell it how it is.

NDG Elecs

-
Arms
Esteemed
'wheres that in the regs'?
I never mentioned it's against the regs did i...?
I'm just saying really use swa on a domestic cooker hob? industrial type setup that.....like I say sometimes common sense should provail and you have to put your foot down with a customer and tell it how it is.
Using SWA externally is hardly an 'industrial type set up'. SWA is used in thousands of domestic properties.
To the OP; the cable could be SWA, NYY or in conduit. You need to see which is the most practical and sensible for the run. Is the cable that is ran externally likely to get any knocks. If it is then I would avoid NYY in that instance. And I don't think an externally mounted IP box is necessarily an ugly addition.

Explain to the customer the positives and negatives about each viable option and price accordingly.

Reply to Hob cable outside then in in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom