Discuss Hob or oven isolator switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HELLO

I have to install one oven(13amp) and one induction hob (30amp)
but those appliances not next to each other!2 meter between them!
just i would like to know ,which appliances need localy isolator switch whitin 2 meter?!
my plan to put oven isolator switch in the cupboard ,where will be the another appliances isolator switches ,and the hob isolator switch near to hob, but away from hob 300mm!
im right if i would do like this?!
or both need isolator switch in visible place?
please advice !
thank you!

It is discussed here:

The 2m distance limit is no longer mentioned, but it must be 0.3m away from the hot areas, and the IET guide to building regulations states "Wiring accessories (e.g. socket-outlets, switches) should be mounted on the building fabric and NOT on kitchen furniture"

So yes, it should be visible and accessible (1.2m max height I think) but you can put is 2m or so away and you might find it convenient to group both isolators together.
[automerge]1590844174[/automerge]
It appears you are London based so this is not directly relevant, but this is the Scottish building standards that relate to this sort of thing:

The important bit is this:

Electrical fixtures - outlets and controls of electrical fixtures and systems should be positioned at least 350mm from any internal corner, projecting wall or similar obstruction and, unless the need for a higher location can be demonstrated, not more than 1.2m above floor level. This would include fixtures such as sockets, switches, fire alarm call points and timer controls or programmers. Within this height range:
  • light switches should be positioned at a height of between 900mm and 1.1m above floor level
  • standard switched or unswitched socket outlets and outlets for other services such as telephone or television should be positioned at least 400mm above floor level. Above an obstruction, such as a worktop, fixtures should be at least 150mm above the projecting surface
Where sockets are concealed, such as to the rear of white goods in a kitchen, separate switching should be provided in an accessible position, to allow appliances to be isolated.
[automerge]1590844285[/automerge]
And in a precious section about the provision of sockets:

4.6.4 Socket outlets
Current lifestyle places a greater demand on electrical installations, with the increase in use of electrical appliances. Connection of multiple appliances into a socket outlet through an adapter can lead to overheating and the risk of fire. Similarly, use of extension leads can create a trip hazard.

To reduce these risks, a dwelling should be provided with at least the following number of 13A socket outlets:

• 4 within each apartment, and
  • 6 within the kitchen, at least 3 of which should be situated above worktop level in addition to any outlets provided for floor-standing white goods or built-in appliances, and
  • an additional 4 anywhere in the dwelling, including at least 1 within each circulation area on a level or storey.
Sockets may be installed as single or double outlets, to give the recommended number of outlets in each space.

Last edited:
As above a designated socket or isolation switch in a near by cupboard is fine...
i generally screw them to the side of the cabinet rather than the back panel.

Nothing wrong with installing sockets etc in kitchen cabinets, provided they are easily accessible.

Sometimes there is no option. Ie. large integrated appliances
I agree. Installed lots of socket outlets fixed to kitchen units. Rather that, than chopping a hole in the back of someone’s unit, they’ve paid thousands for.

The 2m distance limit is no longer mentioned, but it must be 0.3m away from the hot areas, and the IET guide to building regulations states "Wiring accessories (e.g. socket-outlets, switches) should be mounted on the building fabric and NOT on kitchen furniture"
Is this quoted from the latest edition of the guide? I have the 2015 print, it says:
"Accessories and electrical equipment such as socket outlets and under cupboard lighting can be fixed to fitted kitchen units provided that they are securely fixed to rigid parts of the units that are not demountable or otherwise liable to be disturbed in normal use."

thank you! it is new installation!
but should i fix 2 isolator both appliances near to appliances?or those both can be in the kitchen cupboard?
If it’s possible, think I’d prefer two isolators. The hob could turned off, to prevent accidental operation (thinking little kids), whereas you would want to keep resetting the oven clock. If it’s a normal sized kitchen, being further than 2 metres away isn’t an issue IMO.

Reply to Hob or oven isolator switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net