Discuss hoe does that work??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bartkusal

-
Arms
Reaction score
After 7.5 years of employment I received form to sign to the amendment of contract, so basically all that nonce, that employment is better than self-employed in regards stability is down the window. Below is cut out of amendment. Not sure how is this ok???

The undernoted amendments have been made to your terms and conditions of employment. The amendments are applicable with effect from 13[SUP]th[/SUP] July 2013.

The following clause has been added in your contract of employment:

Short-Time Working and Lay Off:
The Company reserves the right to introduce short time working or a period of temporary lay off without pay (with the exception of any statutory entitlement) where this is necessary to avoid redundancies, where work cannot be performed due to exceptional circumstances, or where there is a shortage of work.

Acknowledgement:
I acknowledge receipt of this statement and I confirm that I have read and understand it.

If not a legally enforceable part of the contract the employer can insert whatever clauses he wants, within reason.
I do not see the need for this addition. Isn't it obvious?

After all, without being unsympathetic, do you expect to be paid forever if there is no work?

Your contract of employment is written by the employer.
By working there you agree to the terms.

I don't think you actually have to sign it but things may have changed since I was involved in such things.

Talk to your union

That's the problem these days, there aren't any unions in most workplaces now, except maybe the very big companies. Employers can now and often do, treat loyal employee's as a throw away commodity....
His best advice these days, is to check where he stands with the Citizens Advice!!

Unions also advice ..i wasn't meaning stir up tensions and have a legal battle field just give them a call for advice ...if any additional clause is added to any contract it still has to be fair and used in the circumstances that it is intended as long as this dosn't breach the basic rights of the employee... i.e. they could only use this clause if it genuinely is to limit redundancies and keep the company afloat as thats in everyones interest but say they use it as an excuse just not to pay staff when they normally have the rights to been payed then it won't be legal.....

That's the problem these days, there aren't any unions in most workplaces now, except maybe the very big companies. Employers can now and often do, treat loyal employee's as a throw away commodity....
His best advice these days, is to check where he stands with the Citizens Advice!!

I know what your saying and very true ... i was in the same set-up for 20yrs till i walked ...oh and took several customers... well thats what happens when you treat your employee's like xxxx

I got a change of contract letter some time ago but the added rider was, "if you do not accept this change in terms and conditions you will be deemed to have sacked yourself"!

I got a change of contract letter some time ago but the added rider was, "if you do not accept this change in terms and conditions you will be deemed to have sacked yourself"!

Not sure that would actually be legal, but nothing surprises me these days with what's going on in the UK!! ...lol!!

That is what all the companies were doing with the BESNA,
They issued threir sparks with a new contract and gave a termination date for the oold contract and if you did not sign the new one you were putting yourself out of a job.

The shame on all the scabs that only thought of themselves and signed that BESNA contract.

So they expect you to come running back after a slack period??!! I know some work is better than no work at all but this is a deferent level! What does the rest of the work force make of it, or are you the only one who is being 'amended'?

That is what all the companies were doing with the BESNA,
They issued threir sparks with a new contract and gave a termination date for the oold contract and if you did not sign the new one you were putting yourself out of a job.

The shame on all the scabs that only thought of themselves and signed that BESNA contract.

A contract is a signed legally binding document between two (or more) parties. Therefore it requires the two parties signatures to amend/change the contents of that contract. ....In other words if the contract was on an ongoing term, one party cannot cancel or set a change to term dates...

A lot depends on the wording content of the original contract, as what can and can't be done!!...

My thoughts exactly. I have contracts of employment with my full time employees and the terms of those contracts can't be changed unless by mutual agreement of both parties. There may be exceptions to this if there is a change in employment law and a term of the existing employment contract falls foul of the law change but as an employer I can't just change the contract willy nilly.

Short-Time Working and Lay Off:
The Company reserves the right to introduce short time working or a period of temporary lay off without pay (with the exception of any statutory entitlement) where this is necessary to avoid redundancies, where work cannot be performed due to exceptional circumstances, or where there is a shortage of work.
There is one thing dubious.

The employer states 'with the exception of any statutory entitlement', one of which is redundancy compensation.

If he is hoping to avoid redundancy compensation by laying off one/some employees and that will result in them 'not coming back' then that would be considered constructive dismissal.

A contract is a signed legally binding document between two (or more) parties. Therefore it requires the two parties signatures to amend/change the contents of that contract. ....In other words if the contract was on an ongoing term, one party cannot cancel or set a change to term dates...

A lot depends on the wording content of the original contract, as what can and can't be done!!...

I agree with what you are saying but the likes of Baileys,Balfours,Crown House etc were doing this in a legal way.
We had a lawyer into a union meeting to explain this to us,they were giving the men a cancel date on their existing contracts and issuing them with a new contract,and if the new contract was not returned to them signed for a certain date you were out off a job.
The idea is you can't be employed without a valid contract of employment - if you did not sign the BESNA cotract you were entilted to nothing from the employer.
AND ALL THIS WAS LEGAL.

It looks like an attempt to change your "full time" contract to one of a temporary casual basis. There may be implications in other parts of the contract that state who and what you can do whilst "employed" by them ( i.e. to fill in the gaps, say with a competitor)

If it was me i would not sign and look for another job, if they want rid then you have redundancy and whatever notice period they are obliged to give.

An employment lawyer may give you some better advice about this, i.e. its a material change to the contract that leaves you needing to seek other work to pay the bills etc.

Good Luck, hope it goes well

bart- unfortunatly working for someone else is rubbish they dont give a s--t about you/employees, you are there to earn them a profit
if the work drys up as it has they just throw u away

I working for company at minute who look after schools and the like, said when started. Plenty of work , he just txt to say take tomorrow off . Didn't want tomorrow off, feel like txt n him saying forget about it lol

Reply to hoe does that work??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock