Discuss home AV in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pete_wirral

I'm putting a wall mounted tele, projector and screen up, all of which need power. I want to bury the power cables in the wall, just wanted some advice. Can I connect them all in a 30 amp juncton box and put a fused switch on the live feed.
Cheers

It is not permitted to bury a non maintenance free junction box in the wall and generally not a good idea anyway.
if you have three items that need power the total of which is less than 2kW then they could be connected to the load side of a switched fused connection unit. Note that cables buried in the wall require 30mA RCD protection as well.
Just connecting a random switch into the cable would not be sensible.

Can we establish what is meant by bury here ... is there a local switched fused spur and you are just chopping in the cables here?

I wasn't planning on burying the junction box, just the flex. thejunction box would go in the rafters. can I just connect the live into one side of the fused switch and the three loads to the other side. I don't suppose there's such a thing as a triple fused switch so that they can be controlled independently is there?

You will need some kind of local means of isolation here and not to a junction and or spur hidden in the rafters unless they are open exposed rafters with easy access to isolate the cable, also cable zoning will need to be considered here as well as protection with an rcd if buried less than 50mm which almost certainly will be the case so would the circuit have this protection.

What is the nature of the circuit you wish to connect to?
Does the existing circuit provide rcd protection?

Your addition to the existing circuit will need to be compliant to the 17th edition/ 3rd ammendments of the BS7671 regardless of when the circuit that you wish to add to was installed, in some cases this can mean upgrade of the existing circuit but not always - it is hard to give advice in the form of a yes/no answer without you providing a lot of info.

If you can provide info about some of the points and questions I have posed then we may be able to give a straight answer, if not it will usually come down to the same response which has your safety as priority and get a competent person in to assess the work needed, this will also include testing of the existing circuit you wish to add to to ensure that it is not in a dangerous or unsafe state, something that usually cannot be done on a DIY level due to the nature and cost of such test equipment.

Hopefully this gives a little insight into what may seem a straight forward task can be a mine field of regulations, sometimes we can give those quick easy straight forward answers and sometimes not dependent on the nature of the question you ask.

Last edited:

Reply to home AV in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock