Discuss Home car charger in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

surely the whole point of a hybrid is that the petrol/diesel engine charges the batteries when running on fuel, thus negating the need for a charging point.

not much good if we have power cuts lol. I did think about these but I think hybrid will be more popular than the electric version.

I have commented on this before, possibly even here.
But, as an ancient, I 'm sure a little amnesia can be excused.

EVs predated the IC engined vehicles by nearly a century.
The constraints then were the same as they are now. Plus some.

Cost, range, and recharge time.
For sure, they had niche markets. Milk floats in the early morning were quiet, had a defined route, and hours to recharge before they did it all again. Electric fork lift trucks have intermittent duty, no toxic fumes so no problems operating inside a closed building, and not usually never very far from a charging station.

Road going cars.....
For many people doing commuter hops, range is manageable. My round trip to the office is about 50 miles so that could work for me - for that part of my job at least. Getting to, say Kent, and back, about 200 miles would challenge most EVs.

Then there is the recharge time. Maybe 30kWh.....without a special charger, you're looking at ten hours plus. Not altogether convenient if you get called out at 02:00.

But, I think the greatest constraint is the finite capacity of our electrical infrastructure.
If everyone in my street had to rely on an EV and charged it overnight, the distribution system couldn't come close coping.

I have commented on this before, possibly even here.
But, as an ancient, I 'm sure a little amnesia can be excused.

EVs predated the IC engined vehicles by nearly a century.
The constraints then were the same as they are now. Plus some.

Cost, range, and recharge time.
For sure, they had niche markets. Milk floats in the early morning were quiet, had a defined route, and hours to recharge before they did it all again. Electric fork lift trucks have intermittent duty, no toxic fumes so no problems operating inside a closed building, and not usually never very far from a charging station.

Road going cars.....
For many people doing commuter hops, range is manageable. My round trip to the office is about 50 miles so that could work for me - for that part of my job at least. Getting to, say Kent, and back, about 200 miles would challenge most EVs.

Then there is the recharge time. Maybe 30kWh.....without a special charger, you're looking at ten hours plus. Not altogether convenient if you get called out at 02:00.

But, I think the greatest constraint is the finite capacity of our electrical infrastructure.
If everyone in my street had to rely on an EV and charged it overnight, the distribution system couldn't come close coping.
hybrids are the future.

bassically a genny on wheels with electric motor powering the wheels.

the most expensive thing in all electric car's is the battery.

most batteries are rated for say 300-500 charges etc at most before they degrade and we all know how long ni cads last when there a few years old.

there no better for the enviroment because of all the extra work that goes into them

pict, there was a thread recently about charging points. Filter out the dross and you may find something of use.

I’m partly responsible for the dross with one of my IET profiteering rants.

hybrids are the future.

bassically a genny on wheels with electric motor powering the wheels.

They are a consumer, not a generator.
The energy to propel the vehicle has to come from somewhere.
For a hybrid, it is usually petroleum or a derivative of an oil based fuel.

Yes, hybrids have electric motors driving the wheels. The merits hybrids have over the IC only vehicles are mainly twofold. The more efficient operation particularly in urban stop start situations and their ability to capture and store regenerative energy that would otherwise be dissipated/wasted as heat in the brake discs.

For F1, the pinnacle of motor sport, cars have gone through several iterations in the last few seasons. From V12 3.0 to V10 and now 1.6 V6 with a turbo. And the introduction of KERS. Kinetic energy recovery system.

The aim is to make the sport "greener". Or perhaps to develop greener solutions. Or to give a greener image. The 100kg fuel allowance per race and maximum fuel consumption of 100kg per hour as Daniel Riccardo evidently fell foul of are all to do with that greener PR. All nonsense in my opinion - but I don't run the show.

Oh, yes. I did have a point here.
Hybrids still consume oil. It's a finite resource that we are consuming at a hugely, enormously, vastly greater rate than it was/is ever being produced. At current rates of consumption we will run out. Most experts, including those from oil companies put it at decades.

A proliferation of hybrids and more fuel efficient vehicles may spin it out a bit - but it is still a finite resource.

No, I'm not a greenie, I have no time for Greenpeace and their antics. Or environmentalists of any hue who don't have an ounce of common sense between them.

I'm just an ugly and pragmatic old fart.
By the time the problem comes round to seriously bite us, or you, on the bum I will have long since shuffled off my mortal coils.

They are a consumer, not a generator.
The energy to propel the vehicle has to come from somewhere.
For a hybrid, it is usually petroleum or a derivative of an oil based fuel.

Yes, hybrids have electric motors driving the wheels. The merits hybrids have over the IC only vehicles are mainly twofold. The more efficient operation particularly in urban stop start situations and their ability to capture and store regenerative energy that would otherwise be dissipated/wasted as heat in the brake discs.

For F1, the pinnacle of motor sport, cars have gone through several iterations in the last few seasons. From V12 3.0 to V10 and now 1.6 V6 with a turbo. And the introduction of KERS. Kinetic energy recovery system.

The aim is to make the sport "greener". Or perhaps to develop greener solutions. Or to give a greener image. The 100kg fuel allowance per race and maximum fuel consumption of 100kg per hour as Daniel Riccardo evidently fell foul of are all to do with that greener PR. All nonsense in my opinion - but I don't run the show.

Oh, yes. I did have a point here.
Hybrids still consume oil. It's a finite resource that we are consuming at a hugely, enormously, vastly greater rate than it was/is ever being produced. At current rates of consumption we will run out. Most experts, including those from oil companies put it at decades.

A proliferation of hybrids and more fuel efficient vehicles may spin it out a bit - but it is still a finite resource.

No, I'm not a greenie, I have no time for Greenpeace and their antics. Or environmentalists of any hue who don't have an ounce of common sense between them.

I'm just an ugly and pragmatic old fart.
By the time the problem comes round to seriously bite us, or you, on the bum I will have long since shuffled off my mortal coils.
electric cars are consumers.

wake up buttercup only 20% or so at most electricity generated in the grid is renewable.

biodiesel hybrids are the future because you can get it from grains etc.

they will get better alternative fuels but battery technology isnt good enough for electric cars at the moment

I think the OP is asking about what's involved with installing a charging socket at home rather than the pro's and con's of electric cars vs hybrids etc!!

british gas puts them in for FREEEEEEE!!!!!! unless the run is more than 10m or you want a 32a or unless you need your main fuses pulled other than that FREEEEEE!!

Reply to Home car charger in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock