Discuss Home networking a few questions in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

keithbr13

Hi everyone, I am in the middle of a rewire on a 4 storey terraced house and the customer has asked about installing a network at the same time, having never done this before i have a few questions. Is it posible to run internet, telephone and tv down this sytem or will the tv need to be in coax ? I undertand cat 5 cable is made up of 4 pairs of cable, does this mean four outlets points in 1 frontplate can be connected off one cable ? do you wire the system as individual cable runs to each socket or like a radial circuit ?
The plan is to run everything back to the basement and fit the patch panel there, how do you connect internet, phones and tv to the system ? is it possible to plug in wifi transmitters to the outlets so you can use I pads etc. Sorry for all the questions but this is integuing me now .

As Robotstar said, I would run 1 cable for each outlet and at least 2 outlets at each position (1 for data and 1 for phone) more if it's a study where you might want printers and faxes. If you are not having a phone switch then what I normally do is jumper the last 8 or so ports on a Cat5e patch panel together (white/blue - white/blue, blue/white - blue/white, white/orange - white/orange and orange/white - orange/white) don't worry about the greens or browns. Then either jumper the phone line off the back of a NTE filter on to the blue pair or use a LJU - RJ11 lead from the filter and plug it in to the first of the jumpered ports. You can then use a Cat5 patch lead to jumper it where you want and use a Line Adaptor at the outlet end to convert from RJ45 to LJU phone connection.
Wifi Transmitters can be plugged in anywhere you have an outlet so long as you have spare ports on the router or network switch and will need to be setup.
TV's can be distributed over Cat5e/Cat6 or coax, some HDMI over Cat5 transmitters use 1 cable and others use 2.
Hope this gets you started and not to confusing, I'm sure others will come up with different ideas.

I'm in the middle of the same problem, rewire but Have got to run in data cables, what feed the patch panel? I'm guessing the main phone line???

Get the main phone line to the central location where the patch panel is and have the router at this position.
If you are only running in data cables for a network, you could have the router in a different position and run a data cable back to the patch panel. Use this cable to uplink to a new network switch at the patch panel end.

shielded cat 5e plenum networking cable for your data between the networking outlets and your router.
rgu cabling for tv/security cameras etc.
and utp cabling for phone systems (utp cabling contains 6 conductors for phone networking)
above all do not run any of these cables in the same conduit or raceway as a power circuit to prevent electrical noise
hope this helped

shielded cable is not a necessity for your data network if you think about the routing of cables, avoid running along side power etc.
If your in the uk, just use standard cat5e (4 pair) cable for your phones - if you ever need to use it as data in the future you can use the same cable, it will also save buying extra types of cable.
Shielded cable can give better results for transmitting HD over the cabling.

Only cores 1,2,3 & 6 are used for data on cat5 all 8 are used on cat6

Connect all the cores if you want "full duplex" operation.

I would also consider Cat 7 everywhere (dual or quad point at every power socket). You can then use Cat 7 baluns https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cat7+baluns to put video/aerial as well as phone/data links to where ever your client wants and they will have the flexibility to re-patch in the future as well as a structured cable system that is fairly future proof.

Connect all the cores if you want "full duplex" operation.

I would also consider Cat 7 everywhere (dual or quad point at every power socket). You can then use Cat 7 baluns https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cat7+baluns to put video/aerial as well as phone/data links to where ever your client wants and they will have the flexibility to re-patch in the future as well as a structured cable system that is fairly future proof.

Since when did you need all 8 cores on cat 5 for full duplex operation ?

Just have main phone line into a multiple switch. Still need a switch with a patch panel anyhows. All a patch panel does is make it look 'tidier' just rj45 the ends with boots to make it look better

Reply to Home networking a few questions in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net