Discuss Home office set up in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all, I am pricing up for a domestic rewire, and the customer requires a pc friendly home office setting up. I understand he runs up to 8 pc's at a time plus various other electronica. so the question is how best to go about installing the circuit for this.
My initial thoughts are for a separate ring final circuit on its own RCD(not sure if type B or C?),with a 32a mcb (could this be an RCBO instead),
running a seperate ring protective conductor,
and adding a SPD at the consumer unit.
Please let me know your thoughts.

I would deffo put it on its own rcbo, as otherwise something small like a blown lamp could cause whole office to trip.

Think a type B should be ok as PC's etc dont have a huge start up current and i cant imagine all 8 would be switched on at exactly the same time

Hello all, I am pricing up for a domestic rewire, and the customer requires a pc friendly home office setting up. I understand he runs up to 8 pc's at a time plus various other electronica. so the question is how best to go about installing the circuit for this.
My initial thoughts are for a separate ring final circuit on its own RCD(not sure if type B or C?),with a 32a mcb (could this be an RCBO instead),
running a seperate ring protective conductor,
and adding a SPD at the consumer unit.
Please let me know your thoughts.

I am going to guess that it is a website design company or a photographers studio?

if you want to offer some computer equipment and software etc as part of the install let me know, I have good contacts for getting OEM software(windows, photoshop etc) with the correct(fully legal) licences etc and can also advise you on good business computer set ups and cheap materials....free of charge of course.... will even tell you how to set it all up yourself...

I may also be able to get you a discount at viking for office equipment/furniture etc, PM me if you need anything.....

IT and AV equipment throw plenty down the CPC during normal operation. Home offices and home cinemas are problem areas for RCD. I usually split the sockets up over a couple of radials with their own RCBO's, as well as the extra CPC.

dedicated circuit for the IT gear. surface cable in mini trunking. MCB, no RCD, and label as IT only, not RCD protected. and fit hi integrity earthing. job done. no trips.

dedicated circuit for the IT gear. surface cable in mini trunking. MCB, no RCD, and label as IT only, not RCD protected. and fit hi integrity earthing. job done. no trips.

Can you reasonably apply the skilled or instructed persons exception in a domestic situation ? Never done it myself, only in commercial situations. Would make some jobs a heck of a lot easier.
What would constitute making a householder an instructed person ? Just issuing some advice and guidance regarding prescribed zones, rcd operation etc ?

Can you reasonably apply the skilled or instructed persons exception in a domestic situation ? Never done it myself, only in commercial situations. Would make some jobs a heck of a lot easier.
What would constitute making a householder an instructed person ? Just issuing some advice and guidance regarding prescribed zones, rcd operation etc ?

if the socket is designated for a specific piece of equipment and labelled as such , rcd protection for sockets can be omitted even in a domestic.
the instructed / skilled person clause cannot be applied to domestic installations though.

if the socket is designated for a specific piece of equipment and labelled as such , rcd protection for sockets can be omitted even in a domestic.
the instructed / skilled person clause cannot be applied to domestic installations though.
Yeah totally forgot about that. Just had a read of 411.3.3 again. Could even put in designated use socket fronts and plug tops to go a bit further than just labelling.

why is that then? a lot of people work from home now, so why can this not apply to the part of the home that's used as an office, esp. if the customer has the intelligence to be classed a skilled or instructed?

dunno tel i dont make the rules , i just repeat things parrot fashion in the hope it impresses someone.
;-)

Reply to Home office set up in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock