Discuss home office supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

What size supply would you install for a kind of wendy house in the garden that's going to be used as an office for 2 or 3 people.

around 6 sockets and a double fluorescent. They'l probably be plugging in a 2kw heater at some point when it gets to winter.

Is a 32A feed on 4mm swa a bit overkill? Knock it down to a 2.5mm on a 20A? what would you do? probably not much cost difference.

Was planning on running a 16A radial socket circuit and a 6A radial for light.

Thanks

Yea this is LEGIT. Part p registered. I'm more of a commercial industrial electrician though.

Good stuff.
I have found that most "home offices" actually get by quite nicely on a 13 amp supply, even with a fan heater and a couple of computers, but only you can know what the loading is likely to be.
We need to know the length of run first of all mate, to calculate volt drop, along with ccc.

Yea the runs about 20M, swa clipped direct and then buried in the ground.

I'm thinking there's probably going to be about 3 computers, and other general office stationary printer, photocopier etc then a 2kw heater.

For what its worth theres nothing like running a supply then finding out its too small latter, for the lil extra cost go with a 32-40 Amp supply. You may find it really cold in the winter and need more heaters. look into what earthing system your gona use. TT the office, or export the house earth..

Yea the runs about 20M, swa clipped direct and then buried in the ground.

I'm thinking there's probably going to be about 3 computers, and other general office stationary printer, photocopier etc then a 2kw heater.

In this situation, I'd probably be inclined to agree with Edd. 32A supply.
Any metalwork entering the office (pipework/steelwork etc.) ?

Sounds like a plan.
So, as you will be using lighting in there, work out what size cable you will need for your 20M run, to allow for 32A supply with no more than a 3% vd.

You can't beat a wired internet connection, even if the internet connection is good there is not garunteeing the wireless transmitter in the router is decent. Virgin Superhub comes to mind!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

It's people like you that are trying to take the food out of our bairns mouth ............there we are hard working leccy's trying to earn a honest crust and recommend earning a few pennies by installing some data/telephone cable and your suggesting wireless ..................I don't know

:teeth_smile::teeth_smile:

Ha ha, just testing the water! In truth, I'd be running a telephone/data cable and a Sky+ feed if it was my home 'office' ;)

ah yea it would have to be a 6mm for a 32A supply to be under 6.9v. i'l re measure the run perhaps i was being a bit generous, it might be more like 15M.

Don't forget that your total distance is measured from the intake, not the hole in the wall where the cables comes out into God's fresh air.

6mm 3 core IMO. That will mean you can boil a kettle and have the heating on at the same time!

Reply to home office supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock