Discuss Honeywell Galaxy G2 low voltage problem in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hello all,

I have a Honeywell Galaxy G2-20 burglar installed in my home (about 9 years old).

Recently I got a Battery Miss fault showing on the keypad. So I replaced the battery in the main panel with a new one.

It was ok for a few days, then the fault re-occured. So I checked the main circuits in the main panel and found that the Aux and Battery Charging circuits are only at 4.0V DC (they should be around 13V DC according to my understanding). For reference I have checked incoming power 240V AC power supply and it is fine. I also checked the transformer output voltage and it is 17.9V AC (which I believe is also fine).

I tried disconnecting all detectors (just keeping the keypad and bell connected) and when I re-test the Aux and Battery Charging circuits the voltage only goes up slightly to around 4.3V DC. (I also have an zone expander board (Rio) on this system which I disconnected in this test).

This would lead me to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the PCB. Since this is an old alarm they don't make this version anymore. There are a few used ones around on ebay, but i'm not sure I want to try those.

Has anyone come across this type of issue before?

Is the PCB the most likely fault?

If I do indeed have to replace the PCB is there a new version that would work instead? If so, do I need a new zone expander also or will the old one work with the new PCB?

Any help would be much appreciated.

If and if the pc board has a fault the only
Aternative is to put other brand in considering you have the pirs.

Thanks for the response buzzlightyear.

Do you think there is anything else I can test to try and further diagnose what could be causing the low voltage problem?

You mention that the only alternative is to put in another brand, are there no updated Honeywell versions of this type of Alarm system anymore?

probably find it's a semiconductor. in the power supply. check the beast in the heat sink, top left and also the electroytic capacitor below it. check for any signs of dry joints or excessive heat on PCB in same area.

probably find it's a semiconductor. in the power supply. check the beast in the heat sink, top left and also the electroytic capacitor below it. check for any signs of dry joints or excessive heat on PCB in same area.

I took some pictures of the heat sink area. It's easy to see where the heat has affected the case and some cables above it. But can't see any visible damage to the PCB in that area.
The capacitor also looks ok (don't see any scorching or bulging).

Attachments

• Honeywell Galaxy G2 low voltage problem IMG_20211101_191117 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20211101_191117.jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Honeywell Galaxy G2 low voltage problem IMG_20211101_191207 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20211101_191207.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 20
  • Honeywell Galaxy G2 low voltage problem IMG_20211101_191427 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20211101_191427.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 21
i reckon that semiconductor (thryristor?) is goosed. cpc farnell do suchbeasts for less than a pint of ale. worth a punt.

no.that's a capacitor and be a good idea to replaceit. the part i refer tois screwed onto that aluminium heat sink. it should get fairly warm in use.

thanks telectrix, you mean this part below?
yep.youmay have to do some searching to find out what device it is. try cpc farnell. a quick test would be to measure resistances between the 3 legs. diode tests with multimeter should show a couple of 0.6V.

Hi all, just an update. I ordered the LM317T voltage regulator and also a replacement capacitor. I replaced the voltage regulator first. That has solved the low voltage to the Aux and Battery charging cable (both are now just above 13v DC). However, the keypad is not working, the screen is blank and every 15-20seconds it beeps, but the screen remains blank. I have charged the 7ah battery and tested it before powering up the alarm with it plugged in.

I then replaced the Capacitor on the PCB, but that doesn't make any difference. So now i'm stuck again. Not sure what else to try.

Note, before I replaced the voltage regulator I fully charged the battery and plugged it in and the alarm did work for a few hours (as it was being fully powered by the battery). So I know the battery is ok. So it's only after I replaced the voltage regulator that has led to this specific issue.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Going to be difficult diagnosing this remotely I think.

Reply to Honeywell Galaxy G2 low voltage problem in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock