Discuss honeywell mid position valve in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

snipes

hello,
ive been wiring a y plan system today and the motorized valve has 6 wires
orange
blue
black
brown
white
green/yellow
the plan ive been working off only has 5, its the brown wire that omitted i think ! is there some way round this ? ive not been able to try for myself as the pump was faulty but i would like to know befor i go back

many thanks

the diagram for the boiler only shows 5 so can the 6 wire one work with it ?and if so what happens with the other wire ?

the boiler only requires l-n-e and switched live to "fire the boiler",which will depend if the roomstat/cylinder stat call for heat,this will motor open the valve,supplying voltage to the orange of the valve which is connected to the switched live of the boiler(in wiring centre),if you still have trouble download a y plan diagram from honeywell controls,this should show the mid position valve,the 5 core ones are the 2 port valves used on s plans etc.

Have you seen the valves, or just on a plan? 3-port valve is shaped like a T and has 'A' embossed on one side of the top of the T and 'B' on the other (feed from boiler is the bottom of the T, hot water is B, CH is A), 2-port is straight through, no embossing, there will be one fitted on the HW circuit and one on the CH, typically just after a T in the pipes that does not have a control valve on it.
A 2-port valve is either open or closed (that section of pipes is open circuit or closed circuit)
A 3-port valve can be A , B, or A+B (refer to embossing mentioned above)

In that case I don't understand what this system is meant to be. With just one 2-port valve after the T you will either get HW only when the CH is on, or will get CH only when the HW is on. Or you will get HW every time the CH comes on. Have a think about the plumbing system and what is intended to happen.

It must be a C plan......gravity hot water and pumped CH.....the valve enables separate control of HW on a gravity system.

Edit...just noticed snipes has said it is installed after a T in the pipework which would rule out a gravity HW system.....not too sure on this one either.

Last edited by a moderator:
right then ,
the plumber said that this is an old system and all they did is change the boiler (main he system boiler) you can have hot water only so the valve doesn't open or you have heating and hot water , heating can not be on its own as its piped

so this system isnt a Y or c plan ? ive only ever done S plan from new never had any probs

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to honeywell mid position valve in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net