Discuss Hooking up a generator (without the 4 prong plug) into my generator panel. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Drew31

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, so I am looking for a good solid answer even though it might seem obvious. I need the proper technical answer so I can stop being bothered.

So I have a proper backup panel installed in the house with the proper plug outside to receive a generator 4 prong plugin. I have been loaned a generator that does not have a 4 prong plug. The person loaning it insists that I can run a simple 3 prong regular plug wired directly to the 4 prong plug and then plug that into the house outlet. Their reasoning is I am only going to be running 1-2 things on it so it will work. Is it possible to run 1 or even 2 regular plugs (2 plugs would give me 2 hot wires) and run that into the 4 prong plug into the house or is something going to short or burn or otherwise self destruct.

I realize that this is not how it is meant to be but I have already gave my reasons for not doing this but they still insist on it to the point that they bought me the 4 prong plug and the heavy duty wire and a regular plug and told me to hook it up... This is why I need a half decent answer to say it is either not legal or it could burn down my house.

Thanks for your time and any answers you may have.

This setup is often referred to as a widow maker.

Picture this, generator chugging away and powering house.
Someone unplugs the feed in power lead

All the lights go out
Try to pick up plug in the dark and your hand will connect with the LIVE PINS of the plug and possibly kill you.

Can’t be more clear with this piece of advice

NO, NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT, NEVER EVER EVER.
[automerge]1576571754[/automerge]
There are also other reasons why it is dangerous but the above is the highest risk of death.

Possibly connecting grid power to generator if switches are in wrong positions will make a Big Bang and possibly write off generator

Due to the last part of your post I'm not sure I made my setup very clear. I have the proper panel in the house with the switch that will shut off grid power and only draw from whatever is being fed into the twist lock 4 prong plug I have on the outside of my house.

My question was since my generator does not have anything but regular plugins on it can I wire a regular plug (3 wire) to the 4 wire twist lock going into the house. Simply can I wire only 1 hot and tape the 2nd (red wire) hot off and only feed 110 into the panel since I will only being drawing 15-20 amps at a time.

I was able to get in contact with local professionals in my area and yes I can run just 110 (1 hot wire) through my twist lock into my generator panel.

Thanks for your time.

Reply to Hooking up a generator (without the 4 prong plug) into my generator panel. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net