Discuss Hoping for help in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sjm

Hi guys I hope someone might help.
I have a client whose Soler & Palau CBM-240/240N 245W IP in duct extractor fan has stopped working. Apparently it has been making odd noises for a while. With power applied to the motor it appears to be locked solid and making a low buzzing noise, with no power the impellor runs smoothly. Looked at the website and the user manual says these fans have thermal overload protection in the windings. Having removed the fan unit the top of the motor is very hot to touch. Does anyone have any ideas? Can it be fixed without replacing the whole unit, maybe just replace the motor? Hopefully someone out there has experience with these things.

Thanks in advance.

could be capacitor or start winding.

could be capacitor or start winding.

Limited knowlege with motors but,
Agree with telectrix,also
If power was switched on to the motor and the motor given a lttle twist,if it then starts and runs normally,(without ripping your fingers off),the start winding is where to look
There are sometimes centrifugal switches that swing open after start up,this may affect it, if it is always open

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Will check what has been suggested tomorrow. Could you explain a little more about start winding please.

Heres my attempt.going back years with this memory

A single phase motor can have a start and run winding,I think it allows a rotating magnetic field to be achieved
On start up both windings are in circuit
The start winding has a capacitor to make the current lead in that winding, compared to the run winding
When the motor runs and gets sufficient speed,the start winding dis engages with a centrifugal switch because its not needed for the normal running
A motor with a knackered start winding will humm merrilly away, with massive currents flowing, because there is no back emf to limit the current, thats why they should never be left on for any time or they burn out

Motor isn't starting to run so I'll check capacitor.
Many thanks guys. You're help is very much appreciated.

Reply to Hoping for help in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net