Discuss Why has my electric gone to a £1 a hour at home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 123415

My tumble dryer blew up and since then my electric charge has gone to £1 a hour I’ve unplugged everything in my house but to no avail any advice other than seeing a electrician which I’m doing is it possible for the blow up and trip to have caused this electric bill increase

When you go out turn off the main switch on your board, this will knock off all the power to the property and see if anything changes.

Could it be that the charges gave been high for longer, but you only looked into it because of the washer issue? Maybe the washer incident was a coincidence rather than anything to do with the cause?

£1/hour equates to around 6kWso there's either a large load connected or something is wrong. has next door got a weed farm in the attic?

Can you post a picture of your consumer unit (fuse box)
If it is labelled then it might give us some idea as to where to look first.

£170 a week, there's something wrong.
If I'd get that looked at if I were you. I've seen earth wires fry due to leakage. Could be dangerous. You never know what could happen after electrical damage.

£170 a week, there's something wrong.
If I'd get that looked at if I were you. I've seen earth wires fry due to leakage. Could be dangerous. You never know what could happen after electrical damage.

possibly, however lets not scare the ---- out of the OP, it could Simpley be that it has got colder and there is some electric heating taking the load.

a clearer understanding of what circuits are fed from the distribution board is required before we can come to any conclusions.

however, it is a possibility that cant be ruled out yet.
and yes as @telectrix said above, you are looking at 5kw or more depending on your tarif, so whatever is using all that electric, it will be getting hot.

possibly, however lets not scare the ---- out of the OP, it could Simpley be that it has got colder and there is some electric heating taking the load.
Why not.....it scares it out of me, sometimes.
£170 a week.....quarterly bill of £2k.....get it looked at. It's costing more a week than it would be to have it examined.

Why not.....it scares it out of me, sometimes.
£170 a week.....quarterly bill of £2k.....get it looked at. It's costing more a week than it would be to have it examined.

I see your point but this could also be an electric boiler that is on more now the temperature has dropped.
as I mentioned before, it is all speculation until we can get a clear idea of what loads are fed from the board.

I see your point but this could also be an electric boiler that is on more now the temperature has dropped.
as I mentioned before, it is all speculation until we can get a clear idea of what loads are fed from the board.
If it is a 6k boiler, on constantly, day and night.....no 'stat control, you'd have to have the hot water tap open constantly or the boiler would go through the roof.
Right day for it........Bubble, bubble, boil and trouble;)

Steady on lads it's just a thread on a forum on the internet.

OP might be better off posting the job on the forum and let one of the lads / ladies check it.

I assume somebody has actually been round after the dryer incident? What have they said?

Reply to Why has my electric gone to a £1 a hour at home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net