Discuss Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz heater always 'on' - doesn't turn off according to pre-set times on clock in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have quite an old Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz water heating system in my flat (installed around 2007). It's been working fine until the last month, now the water heater always seems to be 'on'. The clock is set to the correct time, and even when it is the middle of the day when the heater shouldn't be on, the neon off peak indicator light is on and the water is still being heated.

The only way to stop the heater is to switch the water heater to 'off', when the switch is set to 'timed' the water is constantly being heated no matter what time it is.

Is this a problem that can be fixed? Or does it need replacing? If so, does it need replacing with the exact same controller... it is quite old and I'm struggling to find the exact one, I'd like to avoid having a whole new system installed if possible!

Attachments

• Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz heater always 'on' - doesn't turn off according to pre-set times on clock Horstmann_E7_Quartz - EletriciansForums.net
    Horstmann_E7_Quartz.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 5
  • Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz heater always 'on' - doesn't turn off according to pre-set times on clock Horstmann_E7_Quartz_Dia - EletriciansForums.net
    Horstmann_E7_Quartz_Dia.png
    116.5 KB · Views: 5
Still available new, and there is also an electronic version which is interchangeable.
Switch the electricity OFF at the fusebox main switch, remove the two screws holding the front of the E7 in place, and you will see that there are 5 push on connectors from the front part to a terminal block fixed to the case.
Is there any sign of a small darkened area on the front of yours?

Still available new, and there is also an electronic version which is interchangeable.
Switch the electricity OFF at the fusebox main switch, remove the two screws holding the front of the E7 in place, and you will see that there are 5 push on connectors from the front part to a terminal block fixed to the case.
Is there any sign of a small darkened area on the front of yours?
Thanks Brian, I will have to check this at the weekend, it is a tenanted flat and I can't get in until then. Would this indicate some of the wiring has been fried?! I've seen lots of Horstmann Economy 7 controllers but they don't look the same as mine, neon indicator lights are in a slightly different place etc. I wasn't sure if it had to be exactly the same on the front, or whether the push connectors would be universal.

The microswitches in the mechanical version of the E7 have been known to burn up. They are fitted just behind the faceplate, so the heat can discolour a small area on the front.
AFAIK, all models have the same terminal block and will fit the same enclosure, so will be a quick fix if the terminals are all in good order.

They are notorious for burning out.
The connections carry the full 3kW load of an immersion heater… so can get quite hot.

If you get the same type, it is a simple enough job. Just crimped wires that push onto the terminals. And they’re numbered.
However, as it’s a rented property, I’d advise you get an electrician to change.

I wonder if someone’s done something daft here and fitted a bypass switch?

Reply to Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz heater always 'on' - doesn't turn off according to pre-set times on clock in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock