Discuss horstmann economy 7 timer not working in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

akprincehbd

hi,

yesterday I just noticed my horstmann economy 7 timer not working... I tried the boost (1 hour) button, it still can light up on the indicator and heat up the water tank. However, when I used the Timed dial to set the time, I turned the dial a whole circle it won't heat up the water also the 'timed' indicator won't light up. the switch is not in 'off' position

I'm sure before I was using the timed dial in the day time and it also works, even it's in the day time, when I turned the timer dial, align 2am with the winter marker, the 'timed' indicator will light up. but now no matter how I turn it , it won't light up, the boost function works fine...

does anyone know what's the problem inside?

I have other concern, I was using all day same price tariff. but the elec power company said will switch me to the night cheap (E7) tariff at some point. Is it because they change the tariff?

thanks for your reply !!

you need a meter or voltage tester to see of you have power in and power out of the timer. the terminals are ( or should be ) live, so care needs to be taken when doing this. might be better to get an electrician to it. not an expensive job.

hi,

yesterday I just noticed my horstmann economy 7 timer not working... I tried the boost (1 hour) button, it still can light up on the indicator and heat up the water tank. However, when I used the Timed dial to set the time, I turned the dial a whole circle it won't heat up the water also the 'timed' indicator won't light up. the switch is not in 'off' position

I'm sure before I was using the timed dial in the day time and it also works, even it's in the day time, when I turned the timer dial, align 2am with the winter marker, the 'timed' indicator will light up. but now no matter how I turn it , it won't light up, the boost function works fine...

does anyone know what's the problem inside?

I have other concern, I was using all day same price tariff. but the elec power company said will switch me to the night cheap (E7) tariff at some point. Is it because they change the tariff?

thanks for your reply !!
Horstmann E7's are run on an single unrestricted circuit and not from your off peak (it runs in the off peak period on its own timer). You have proved power to unit by the fact that boost works. Based on what you have said it could be either the Timed/Off Switch or internal microswitch that has failed. You will need to isolate and then prove these switches and associated wiring which are in series upto the point of the heater terminations to determine where the fault is. If you are not confident in this, then get an electrician. As Telectrix has already said, it is a simple job.

you need a meter or voltage tester to see of you have power in and power out of the timer. the terminals are ( or should be ) live, so care needs to be taken when doing this. might be better to get an electrician to it. not an expensive job.

thanks

Horstmann E7's are run on an single unrestricted circuit and not from your off peak (it runs in the off peak period on its own timer). You have proved power to unit by the fact that boost works. Based on what you have said it could be either the Timed/Off Switch or internal microswitch that has failed. You will need to isolate and then prove these switches and associated wiring which are in series upto the point of the heater terminations to determine where the fault is. If you are not confident in this, then get an electrician. As Telectrix has already said, it is a simple job.

OK, I will give a go first

Reply to horstmann economy 7 timer not working in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock