Discuss Horstmann electronic 7. Cant get hot water regardless of what I do in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Juliet

DIY
Reaction score
I have moved in 3 days to a flat which seems to have a lot of problems. I have not had hot water yet and the agent tells me I will pay for a call-out if it will be something simple and I could have found it on the internet.. So I am paranoid. The red light is on. I usually would have a shower around 1 am but there was never hot water in the bathroom or kitchen regardless of the time. I also found next to the water container that all switches were on but the isolator switch was off. Is that correct and is that a reason why it doesn't work. I read other articles but nothing works.

Can you post a picture of the timer and any other switches near it or the hot water cylinder.

The timers are usually set to come on around 3.am till 7.am while power is cheaper.
To have enough hot water for a shower at 1.am you may have to turn the boost on on the timer before shower time unless you haven't used any during the day.

Can you post a picture of the timer and any other switches near it or the hot water cylinder.

The timers are usually set to come on around 3.am till 7.am while power is cheaper.
To have enough hot water for a shower at 1.am you may have to turn the boost on on the timer before shower time unless you haven't used any during the day.
The boost button doesnt work. Neither it made a difference, I tried the water fifferent times.

That's all there is. The water container is above the bathroom and impossible and not allowed to get to but I happen to have a picture of the switches inside there.

Attachments

• Horstmann electronic 7. Cant get hot water regardless of what I do IMG_5089 2 (1).JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_5089 2 (1).JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 42
if you post your rough location, one of us may be close to pop round and have a look, for a coffee and biscuits.

The bottom left switch is "off" which will isolate it from the immersion heater.

It also seems to trip the fuse box. I removed voice so I am not killed by my agency. who pretty much asked me to find out online what I have to do or will be charged for a call out ? so I spent 5 hours, shall I charge them for this time I dont have. joke. The other pic is a switch is above the bathroom where is the container with water. It is locked up and super high and nobody can get there ;-)

Horstmann electronic 7. Cant get hot water regardless of what I do IMG_5087.PNG - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• IMG_5061 4.mov
    26.4 MB
Another case of rogue landlord and/or letting agent.
They should have had a proper handover showing you how everything works, where the water stopcock is and the fuseboard.

I have to agree that the big switch on the controller on the bottom left shouldn’t be at the OFF position.
Do you have an off peak set up? Maybe there is none and hence no night time heat up.
A photograph of your electric meter, and fuse boards will help us work that out.

the isolator with the missing screws is for a fan. those screws need replacing, so you could get them to send an electrician for which they can't make you pay as it's potentially dangerous. then while he's there get him to check the water heating .

Perhaps it has been connected incorrectly which is why its On when it should be Off?

Pretty poor of the agent/LL not to show how things work (per#6), feel like you've been 'dropped in the deep end'!

Good shout, tel. Too early for me to notice that.
I take it the bathroom fan isn’t working either
fan is only when I switch the fan boost which then switches on bathroom and the kitchen. it is a studio. so maybe thats why it is off. I tried to switch into other position and it still doesnt heat up the water, I have enough:(

That page in the book helps f. all. also the instructiomn i found on the internet unless Im doing something wrong. I think I will cry and if you thought this is a deep end this is 0.0001 of what is wrong with the fact that was hidden from me:(

Attachments

• Horstmann electronic 7. Cant get hot water regardless of what I do IMG_5102.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_5102.JPG
    412.1 KB · Views: 23
in 1st pic. as westie said, that rocker switch should be switched down to timed. then if the settings have not been altered, it should kick in at midnight, with the boost button to get hot water in the daytime.

Reply to Horstmann electronic 7. Cant get hot water regardless of what I do in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock