Discuss Hot Tub Colours in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

asqs342

Hi all,

I have just got given a hot tub which i am installing. A friend of mine has put in all of the SWA to the area into a termination box and ran this all the way to a new 32 amp breaker within the CU. This all happened prior to the hot tub getting delivered and while i was sorting out the base for it. I am more than happy with terminating the swa from the hot tub and glanding etc but when i have stripped it all back the colour scheme is not what i was expecting. 3 Cables as follows:

Grey
Black
Brown

The question is: How do these relate to the standard line, neutral and CPC???

Really confused and any help would be appreciated. My sparks friend is on his hols hence i am not asking him.

Thanks

Carl

I think i have just answered my own question. Just clicked that it is 3 core. It is a Sunday!!!!! If anyone could confirm it would be much appreciated.

Use brown as live. Over sleeve black and grey as blue and green/yellow.

- - - Updated - - -

Lay off the beer!

Londonlec. I thought this forum was for advice. I am more than capable, just needed clarification.

I know this is obvious , but i take it you are making the terminations back at the board as well and your not just assuming the sparks that is on holiday has made them off this way ?
I know this is a daft question but as they say , theres nowt so daft as folk sometimes !:goofy:

Any electrician should know B,B,G.

What colours was the O.P expecting; Red, Yellow, Blue, or Brown, Blue, Green/Yellow?

I do hope you are not relying on the MCB as the only device to isolate it, you should have an isolation switch accessible outside.
One other thing, if you are more than capable, you really should know what the harmonisation colours are!

I do hope you are not relying on the MCB as the only device to isolate it, you should have an isolation switch accessible outside.
One other thing, if you are more than capable, you really should know what the harmonisation colours are!

I know what they are , just sometimes I cant tell them apart lol.:innocent:

I think i have just answered my own question. Just clicked that it is 3 core. It is a Sunday!!!!! If anyone could confirm it would be much appreciated.

Has it been connected within the DB? If so it very much depends on what way your electrician has connected them in there. How is the circuit protected? Also, I thnk someone has already pointed out that you want an isolator local to the hot tub.Personally, I really think you should leave this to the electrician to sort!! Good luck either way.

Many Thanks for all of your input. Yes it is connected at the DB on the RCD side. He has just turned it off. There is an DP Isolation switch outside where the SWA from the tub goes in to allow external iso. He is going to come and commission it on Wed on his return. He is NAPIT. Many Thanks again and BTW job done and all working well.
I did a Part P course some time ago so i conscious of the rules and dangers involved.

Many Thanks for all of your input. Yes it is connected at the DB on the RCD side. He has just turned it off. There is an DP Isolation switch outside where the SWA from the tub goes in to allow external iso. He is going to come and commission it on Wed on his return. He is NAPIT. Many Thanks again and BTW job done and all working well.
I did a Part P course some time ago so i conscious of the rules and dangers involved.

Not trying to be a smart arse with this observation but it did make me laugh ,

" he is going to commission it on Wed ", but then you say "job done and all working well " !

Sorry, but how do you know it is working well? Surely, you would not try energising it before all testing has been completed?
This is not a piece of kit one should simply switch on and say "looks good to me".

Honestly not trying to be condescending, but you really should have waited for your electrician to connect this if he is the one testing and signing it off.

Once again thanks for your advice. I can assure you that this is not going to be used until it is tested. When i said job done and all working well - i forgot to explain fully that my wife and children weren't literally in there enjoying themselves and sipping champagne but the power is there.

I am now removing myself from this site as when you ask for advice you just get sarcastic and smart arse responses which really isn't in the spirit of forums. Those who have helped - thank you, those who haven't, well nothing else more to say.

Good day to you all

Yet another chancer ! See you latter's that is if we don't read about you in another tragic accident in the nationals first !

Sorry to the mods if you don't like my comment , but at the same time this meant to be a forum for ELECTRICIANS !

EDIT ; Just had a quick look at some of his past post's , this joker will end up doing someone before he is through " my electrician is on holiday " what in fairy land !!!!!!

Something needs to be done about people on this site lying to get advice !

Be honest in the first place and then we would know to start from the basics and not jump in with advice that could be fatal if taken by someone of the wrong skill level / base . :disappointed:

Last edited:

Reply to Hot Tub Colours in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock