Discuss Hot tub install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sb8389

-
Reaction score
Hey guys
This may have being touched on before.
I have got to install a 32amp Hot tub for a customer.
The installation is a dual RCD board
TNCS
All bonding in place.
I am going to install a 6mm 3core armoured surface cleated to garage wall and the hot tub will be installed behind the garage where I will put in a 32amp rotary isolator.
I have heard many discussions on weather acceptable to export the PME and you should TT the hot tub in case of loss of neutral and the potential dangers that could arise, now I’m not sure if the hot tub is class 2 although speaking to the manufacturer they have said the frame is metal but the actual surroundings and the centre are all plastic.
What’s your thoughts and past experience on what you do with these installs

Thanks

Where did the whole hot tub earth rod argument appear from?
I'm still to be convinced either way. Both sides have good points.
Buzz, any chance of some enlightenment as to why you think its not needed?
and is there actually any regs to say that it would be required?
I know about the reg talking about exporting PME but to be honest I'm not convinced that's what's meant by it.

Where did the whole hot tub earth rod argument appear from?

It comes from the regulations and guidance notes.
The guidance notes advise that an indoor hottub should be treated as a bath and an outdoor hottub should be treated as a swimming pool.

There is a note in the regulations advising the connection of a suitable earth electrode (I believe less than 21 ohms is mentioned) to the equipotential bonding system of a TNCS supply for outdoor swimming pools.
People misread this advice as saying it should be seperated from the earthing system and a TT system created. If you actually read the note it does not say this, it advises the connection of an earth electrode to the equipotential bonding system. That is to say connecting an earth electrode of suitable Ra to the MET in addition to the connection to the TNCS earth.

The guidance notes advise that an indoor hottub should be treated as a bath and an outdoor hottub should be treated as a swimming pool.

There is a note in the regulations advising the connection of a suitable earth electrode (I believe less than 21 ohms is mentioned) to the equipotential bonding system of a TNCS supply for outdoor swimming pools.
People misread this advice as saying it should be seperated from the earthing system and a TT system created. If you actually read the note it does not say this, it advises the connection of an earth electrode to the equipotential bonding system. That is to say connecting an earth electrode of suitable Ra to the MET in addition to the connection to the TNCS earth.
Nice one very informative. Which guidance note is this in?

No personnel experience myself, but having read quite a few threads on the subject, I think a lot depends where the hot tub is installed, not withstanding #6. That is if its going inside a wooden shed or on decking, to just being sat on the lawn.

So if the RA of 21ohms can,t be obtained the tub would be TT,ed,if outdoors?
Regards,S

Nice one very informative. Which guidance note is this in?
Gn7 special locations
It gives guidance to other types of installations that are not necessarily special installations or locations but can be treated as such if the installer/designer chooses, like a hot tub is advised to comply with section 702 , swimming pools.

Or you buy a hot tub from Homebase or Tesco’s or whatever and plug it into an extension lead out your kitchen window.

I’ve seen inside one of the 6 seater tubs that need a 32A supply. Has an rcd behind the control panel which needs a screwdriver to open to reset the thing.
Not very user friendly. I see joe public just leaving the panel loose so it’s easier next time.

Reply to Hot tub install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock