Discuss hot tub installation advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Carl Alvey

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi guys, im having a hot tub delivered in the next few weeks. the hot tub is 32a and will need a 40a rcd from my consumer unit to an outdoor isolator then to my tub.
Ideally id like to install an outdoor socket aswell.my consumer unit is an old steepler one using series e and the largest breaker i can get is 40a.i was thinking of coming from main consumer unit to an outdoor unit which will contain a 40a for the tub and 16a for outdoor socket and ensure that i dont use socket whilst tub is being used??? up untill a time when i can get main consumer unit changed enabling a larger breaker to be fitted.
Would this be ok or would it be better to still install outdoor unit but forget the outdoor socket for now.
Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
cheers

Ask your spark to make sure the cable and outdoor unit are suitable to add a socket when your upgrade is done

My advice would be, don’t fill it with cold water

and buy shares in your energy supplier. them things cost about £30/week in leccy.

Do you mean RCD or MCB (or RCBO?) The circuit will need overcurrent and fault protection, usually provided by an MCB, and the hot tub will almost certainly need RCD protection.

Remember you also need to size the cable for a larger OCPD if you plan to increase it in the future. And you also need to pay careful consideration to the earthing arangement of the suply and how to deal with this at the hot tub.

Op ... The only sensible advice is employ a spark to do it properly ...

And this falls under part P too

I will be getting a sparky to do this but thought id ask advice so that know if i get told right info by someone

I will be getting a sparky to do this but thought id ask advice so that know if i get told right info by someone

Out of interest, why have you got trainee access?

That's the plan if poss. Was just after some opinions or advice so I know if someone is trying to make the job alot bigger than it needs to be. Cheers

Reply to hot tub installation advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock