Discuss Hot tub wiring options in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just pricing up a job for a back garden hot tub (32A fixed supply, not the 13A temp type). 6mm SWA to rotary isolator etc. all fine but I'm interested in thoughts on the other end. Option 1 is to run SWA all the way along the back of the house, down the side, across the front, and back in by the front door to get to the CCU, using over 25m of cable. Option 2 is to supply from the meter box which is half way down the side of the house. This is my preferred option: cut the tails after the main switch and use a henley block to feed the existing CCU and a new supply. But the hot tub requires a 30mA RCD so I'd need to get that in there somewhere and I'm not sure there's room in the meter box for a mini board, plus in any case the DNO can be a bit iffy about putting stuff in there. Does anyone know of a really small unit that I could squeeze in? Or maybe add a surface mounted housing alongside the existing (flush) meter box? Or bite the bullet and install the full 25m? Thoughts welcome!

Last edited:
Ha, just about to post a hot tub issue myself so I feel your pain, they are a pain in tha a$$!
Can you not put another IP rated enclosure next to meter box and put a small board in there? or run T&E through the house somehow and joint onto SWA for the outside bit? I'd keep your kit out of the meter box if it was me.

Ha, just about to post a hot tub issue myself so I feel your pain, they are a pain in tha a$$!
Can you not put another IP rated enclosure next to meter box and put a small board in there? or run T&E through the house somehow and joint onto SWA for the outside bit? I'd keep your kit out of the meter box if it was me.
Cheers John, yes I was thinking of putting another enclosure next to the meter box. It’s quite a narrow passageway but I reckon that’s the best option. Customer is not keen on having anything through the house and there’s no obvious route. I reckon split tails to a small board in an enclosure ought to do it. Thanks.

as the SWA does not need RCD protection, can you fit the 30mA RCD at the load end. by the tub?

Just pricing up a job for a back garden hot tub (32A fixed supply, not the 13A temp type). 6mm SWA to rotary isolator etc. all fine but I'm interested in thoughts on the other end. Option 1 is to run SWA all the way along the back of the house, down the side, across the front, and back in by the front door to get to the CCU, using over 25m of cable. Option 2 is to supply from the meter box which is half way down the side of the house. This is my preferred option: cut the tails after the main switch and use a henley block to feed the existing CCU and a new supply. But the hot tub requires a 30mA RCD so I'd need to get that in there somewhere and I'm not sure there's room in the meter box for a mini board, plus in any case the DNO can be a bit iffy about putting stuff in there. Does anyone know of a really small unit that I could squeeze in? Or maybe add a surface mounted housing alongside the existing (flush) meter box? Or bite the bullet and install the full 25m? Thoughts welcome!
CCU?

Reply to Hot tub wiring options in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net