Discuss Hot tub wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a job to install 32A supply for hot tub. 6mm armoured cable around 40M. Can't be collected to existing CU as no spares there. But there is a small CU right next to the meter (pictures provided) which supply power to car charger. Meter tails to this CU is 16mm which is OK to supply both car charger and hot tub.
Question is: can I fit RCBO for the hot tub to this consumer unit connecting it to a supply side of existing RCBO for car charger?
Or maybe there is another way?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200521_083427.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20200521_083404.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 46
The main issues for adding another RCBO are:
  • It would need to be a DP RCBO as there is no other DP isolation before that.
  • Because of that you would need the DNO to pull the fuse to work on it.
  • You would have to check the existing RCBO, etc, can take both the tails and sufficient conductor size to feed the hot-tub RCBO as well (as no bus-bars present).
  • You might need to take the SWA to the top as it looks limited space/bend radius below.
[automerge]1591434834[/automerge]
Thinking again, as you would have to pull the DNO fuse anyway, it might be worth looking to replace the existing arrangement with one that has a DP isolation switch and then the two RCBO you need. Certainly a lot less trouble in the future (e.g. RCBO replacement), and more obvious means of isolation, along with an approved bus-bar for feeding them, etc.

Wylex & Crabtree single module RCBOs have switched neutrals so would preserve that aspect.
[automerge]1591435244[/automerge]
This sort of thing:

Last edited:
  • You would have to check the existing RCBO, etc, can take both the tails and sufficient conductor size to feed the hot-tub RCBO as well (as no bus-bars present).
  • You might need to take the SWA to the top as it looks limited space/bend radius below.
Thinking again, as you would have to pull the DNO fuse anyway, it might be worth looking to replace the existing arrangement with one that has a DP isolation switch and then the two RCBO you need. Certainly a lot less trouble in the future (e.g. RCBO replacement), and more obvious means of isolation, along with an approved bus-bar for feeding them, etc.

Wylex & Crabtree single module RCBOs have switched neutrals so would preserve that aspect.
This sort of thing:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have had in mind rearranging in my self by fitting DP main switch and 2 RCBOs. Didn't think there are DP switched ones for single modules. Also for me rearranging would be practical and satisfying requirements. As for fitting swa, I'm thinking to take 6mm t&e inside this meter box to a wiska box or similar right next to meter enclosure where I can gland swa.

This sort of thing:

Am I right thinking that this is the same just from CEF. DP switched?

Am I right thinking that this is the same just from CEF. DP switched?
Yes, same range.
[automerge]1591447880[/automerge]
As for fitting swa, I'm thinking to take 6mm t&e inside this meter box to a wiska box or similar right next to meter enclosure where I can gland swa.
That would allow tighter bends, etc, so might be your best bet.

If you are fitting T&E to the metal CU you can get glands for that for a professional finish:

For 6mm you need a 25mm hole though, not sure what most garage CU come with but probably 20 so out with the step-drill, etc!

Yes, same range.

If you are fitting T&E to the metal CU you can get glands for that for a professional finish:

For 6mm you need a 25mm hole though, not sure what most garage CU come with but probably 20 so out with the step-drill, etc!
Description for RCBO is rather confusing, it's says 1 pole but in specifications under "number of poles" it's says "single pole & neutral.
Will certainly get m25 gland to house 6mm t&e into small CU.
Another interesting thing I'VE found that existing car charger rcbo seems to be type C? I've checked reg book and it says that charger must be protected by RCD of at least type A

Description for RCBO is rather confusing, it's says 1 pole but in specifications under "number of poles" it's says "single pole & neutral.
Another interesting thing I'VE found that existing car charger rcbo seems to be type C? I've checked reg book and it says that charger must be protected by RCD of at least type A
Type C refers to the overcurrent part of the RCBO,not the RCD.

Strictly speaking it is single pole and switched neutral because it is not sensing over-current on the neutral, just the line. A true DP breaker will trip on over current on any pole. However, it is isolating both if it trips, where as most single pole RCBO do not (but they have to have the neutral pass through them to sense the current imbalance).

OK, you would be looking for this:

For some dumb reason they decided to give RCDs codes like this:
  • AC = works on AC faults only
  • A = AC and pulsing DC faults
  • B = also DC faults
  • F = AC and high frequency faults (e.g. inverters)
But for the MCB they use the B/C/D designator for how sensitive the "instantaneous" magnetic trip is:
  • B = 3-5 * In
  • C = 5-10 * In
  • D = 10-20 * In
So now if you see 'type B' for an RCBO you can not be sure if it is DC-sensitive or simply the B-curve and no RCD destination offered!
[automerge]1591451017[/automerge]
Ah, I see radiohead beat me to it!

More info on RCDs here:

Strictly speaking it is single pole and switched neutral because it is not sensing over-current on the neutral, just the line. A true DP breaker will trip on over current on any pole. However, it is isolating both if it trips, where as most single pole RCBO do not (but they have to have the neutral pass through them to sense the current imbalance).

OK, you would be looking for this:

For some dumb reason they decided to give RCDs codes like this:
  • AC = works on AC faults only
  • A = AC and pulsing DC faults
  • B = also DC faults
  • F = AC and high frequency faults (e.g. inverters)
But for the MCB they use the B/C/D designator for how sensitive the "instantaneous" magnetic trip is:
  • B = 3-5 * In
  • C = 5-10 * In
  • D = 10-20 * In
So now if you see 'type B' for an RCBO you can not be sure if it is DC-sensitive or simply the B-curve and no RCD destination offered!
[automerge]1591451017[/automerge]
Ah, I see radiohead beat me to it!

More info on RCDs here:
Something I've definitely learnt today) many thanks for clearing out confusions in my head!

Yes, same range.

6mm up to 5 core will fit into a 20mm gland. either a 20S for up to 3 core (3 core may be borderline on a 20S) or a 20L for 4 and 5 core

Reply to Hot tub wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net