Discuss Hot tub wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm awaiting an inflatable hottub, plug and play although I'm worried that having it of my house ring main will overload the circuit, I want to have it on all the time, I also want to keep the price down so I don't want to rip up floorboards and damage walls. My CU is above the front door and I have acquired a reel of 6mm cable, would it be acceptable to add a 32a breaker, drill straight above my front door then use plastic trying all the way around the house into the back garden which is about 20 metres, aswell as adding two WiFi cameras along the way, killing two birds with one stone, for the cameras I will spur of the radial circuit into a fused spur, is this the best way to do it without doing a cowboys job and spuring off a near limit circuit. I would rather not buy armoured cable when I have plenty of 6mm twin and earth around. Cheers

plug and play hot tubs are generally 2.2kW, i.e just under 10A. the biggest load is the heater which cycles on/off with it's thermostat. unless you Ring circuit is already heavily loaded, it won't cause a problem on the ring. cameras usually get their 12V supply from the location of the DVR using a ELV cable, which itself is powered from a plug in PSU.

I'm just wondering if I have like the washing machine, the cooker, the tumble dryer, the fridge, the tv and the hottub all on one circuit would that not overload it, the hot tub will be a 1500w eco heater aswell so even better think that's about 7 amps. Forget about the cameras for now then and they are WiFi cameras all they need is plugged in I think although they have not arrived yet.
[automerge]1595916564[/automerge]
I'm just wondering if I have like the washing machine, the microwave, the tumble dryer, the fridge, the tv and the hottub all on one circuit would that not overload it, the hot tub will be a 1500w eco heater aswell so even better think that's about 7 amps. Forget about the cameras for now then and they are WiFi cameras all they need is plugged in I think although they have not arrived yet.

Last edited:
cooker on the ring, or separate circuit?. how many socket circuits, i.e. separate ring for kitchen?

you need to allow for diversity. even with several appliances on simultaneously, not all will be drawing max. current as heating elements cycle on and off at different times. e.g. washing machines and dishwashers. tumble dryers are on heat most of the time though, but even they have thermostats. if you could get a local sparks to measure the current when all appliances are running, you'd be surprised how low it maybe.

I can test that mate I am an electrician just trying to get everything sorted while I'm away working so I can jump on it when I get back, so I'll just run the the spur from the downstairs sockets

Reply to Hot tub wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock