Discuss hotel pir in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
Hotel extension built 1989 multiple boards each serves 2 rooms,heat, light, sockets, telemetry controled heating from reception, parent board supplies sub via 4mm SWA on a 32A type 2.Sockets 20A b curve, heating 10A b lights, 10A b, sockets are ring final in 2.5/1.5 It's my understanding that has been done like this to get the Zs down otherwise it would be out with the required disconnection times, I do not have any real concerns over this, but, is this a normal approach, I would have uped the cable and supply breaker and ultimately the RF to 32A there are 36 rooms done this way so maybe cost was an factor when the job was quoted who knows any thoughts
Pict

So one 20A ring supplies two rooms?

If heating is taken care of then the largest ring load will probably be 2 hairdryers running concurrently for a short time plus a bit of background for televisions etc.

Sounds fine, of course if Zs is a problem and you want to 'upgrade' you could swap the 20A MCB's for 32A RCBO's, bearing in mind that your distribution circuit is only at 32A too!

Sorry, no its one board two rooms one set of breakers per room 20,10 and a 6 didn't describe it to well !! each room has as you say a telly kettle hairdryer and a coffee perker cant think of any thing heavier a guest may bring with them, but then again??
Pict

Could be a consideration to assist with discrimination downstream, to protect the sub main from isolating?

Or it could be that the deSign was switched to 20Amp to allow for a smaller size sub main.

Last edited:

Reply to hotel pir in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net