Discuss House Alarm reset after isolation - who foots the bill in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
This one has caught me out twice now. Needed to isolate power to house that has a battery backed up alarm. Unknown to me the battery was flat, so when I turned on the power the alarm reset to factory settings and wouldn't switch off, resulting in an call out to a security firm on a Sunday and one irrate client.

Now should I have asked the client had the alarm been recently serviced and the battery checked to cover my arse ? What do you normally do in these circumstances ?

Always difficult to tell if a battery backup will last during an isolation, without testing the battery first you will never know, got to say if it had caught you out once before I would be mentioning it at every other property that had an alarm,

Back to the point, you cant be responsible for the state if the alarm unless that is what you were there for.

You have been bitten twice now by the same thing.
I think you have answered your own question.

A properly installed and serviced alarm should be ok for a short power cut.

Now should I have asked the client had the alarm been recently serviced and the battery checked to cover my arse

Yes that is what you should have done
It is fundamental that you find out that they have both codes , and to warn them that the alarm may be affected by isolating the power to it.

The customer should foot the bill as it is their responsibility to maintain the alarm, and their negligence has led to the call out. This would not have happened on a properly serviced system. Even if you knew the battery was dead, what would the customer expect you to do, demand you work live?!

The battery should be good for 8 hours at least. What would they do during a normal power cut? I had a similar issue though no remote call problem, during a recent EICR couldn't stop the alarm with the mains off due to dead battery, a battery backed internal sounder was also fitted. had to fit an old one I had floating about in the van. The date written on the battery was Dec 98, the date the system was fitted.

If the client has a security company monitoring the property they presumably also have a maintenance contract, if not with the same company then with someone else, it would be the responsibility of the maintenance company to ensure the alarms where operating in accordance with the manufacturers maintenance requirements, this would include battery replacement at appropriate intervals.

the alarm reset to factory settings and wouldn't switch off, resulting in an call out to a security firm on a Sunday and one irrate client.
If they have a security firm monitoring it, surely they are on a maintenance contract with that firm?

I think it is down to them to sort it out as maintenance should be part of the deal.

All you could (did?) do was tell them the power has to go off to do the work. That is pretty much a non-negotiable aspect under H&S rules, as I doubt any judge at a fatal accident inquiry would consider a badly maintained alarm system as sufficient reason to justify live working.

if there's an alarm I warn people the power loss could affect it and they should do whatever is necessary to address it then its problem handed over.

Mind, a fair number of my clients have banham alarms which IME seem very temperamental.

Surely if it is a monitored system it should be a maintained one too. Did you advise the possibility before powering down, also contacting the monitoring company, IMO if the client has an unmaintained alarm system it's their problem.

It shouldn't be the electricians responsibility.
How far would you go? If you isolated the supply and then then combi boiler didn't start up when the poser is energised, is that down to the electrician? How about cookers?

Thanks for the replies, and yes I deserved the kicking from some of you for not checking before hand. I agree with Spoon, where do you draw the line of responsibility for something not working when you power back up.

Reply to House Alarm reset after isolation - who foots the bill in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock