Discuss House flooded.. Burglar Alarm wont work? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TPES

Tittle says it really, dont laugh!

Ive spoke to the customer but no nothing more, the customer knows nothing about the alarm either.. (apart from the code)

All i have been told is..

"The house was flooded over 2 weeks ago, sisnce this the alarm hasnt worked?""

Now first thing ill check is that there is power going to the panel then go from there, even if there is no power to the anel shouldnt the backup battery keep the alarm working..

Obviously i will know alot more once i see the job but does anyone know what first things to check..??

if power is present at panel,and no obvious water damage,treat panel as new install ,replace all zone/tamper links and carry on from there,look for water in pir,s and check cabling to pir,s and bellbox etc,but obviously could be anything,also make sure with customer that system was ok before flooding!,could save a load of hassle finding fault.

Yep........See if there is any water in the panel........lol :D

Seriously.... the back up battery wouldn't last that long anyway.

Can't say I know a great deal about the alarm panels (different types / brands) but if it is quite old it would probably need changing anyway.

I did a rewire earlier this year and the alarm company who supplied the alarm told the vendors that the alarm they had didn't comply with the regulations when they called and attempted to find out more about it for me to disconnet. Quite funny when I disconnected it I expected the battery to kick in and put my fingers in my ears........you could hardly hear it!

Alarm ..... sensitive electronic equipment .... water / damp / moisture....probably Fooked?

Last edited by a moderator:
Got there, Its an old ATI 6000 alarm, they keypad was that big i thought it was the panel.. there was a seperate main panel in the loft. the plastic casing was off the panel and hid under some insulation, all connections exposed, as the house was flooded the whole house has been re-plastered and all the old PIR cables plastered over.. there was power at the panel, when i powered it up the bell box sounded instantly. and with the customers alarm pin it did not deactivate the alarm, there didn't even seem to be a backup battery so all i did was dissconect the spur to switch it off.

Im going to price for a new mid range system.. I know hard to say but whats the going rate to install a 6 zone mid range system?

Its a bungalow!! Lucky me

Last edited by a moderator:
should be a piece of cake. average system nothing to fancy4-5 pir couple of door contacts bell and panel 100m 6 core cable i would be looking around 250-300 depends on you and how long you think it will take.

Reply to House flooded.. Burglar Alarm wont work? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net