Discuss House Rewire - Anything Missing? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

poporo

-
Reaction score
Hi,

Any advice on this would be appreciated. I am planning on getting our new 1960’s house rewired which is not something I have done before. One requirement is my other half wants lots of light, our old place was too dark! We plan on moving a couple of doors/walls slightly so a change from current design. Do you think these lighting circuit and power socket placements in the pictures make sense? Have I missed anything or is this overkill? Quite a lot of sockets but I was running about 15 plugs of one socket for my media stuff :)

The ground floor is covered in artex so needs to be skimmed or replaced, a sample is off for asbestos testing… fingers crossed we are clear. Is it likely to be cost effective to remove the ceiling to run all the cables and replace?

Thanks
1F.JPG GF.JPG

It's your house and your rewire so the placing of the lights and socket outlets only has to make sense for the usage you are planning.
Communicate well with your electrician to ensure you receive the desired outcome would be my advice.

To add my two penneth, its to make comment for those plans (IMO).

However, one thing I've noticed is you might wish to reconsider your smoke alarm plan. For instance, on the grd floor, there appears to be only 0ne? Whereas there seems to be escape routes without an alarm, and consideration for a CO alarm for the gas boiler. The lounge appears to have a vaulted ceiling? When adding more alarms, I would also install an alarm control switch. The forum sponsor - Aico, would be able to give you advice on alarm placement.

You can never have too much lighting, I would install downlights in the kitchen instead of surface lighting. Are you having a new kitchen installed, if so I would design the electrical install around that.

I took all the ceilings down when I did my house, makes things 100 times easier, and safer as there's no floor boards up for someone to fall into

Excellent, I only thought of the smoke alarms after waking at 3am the other night, would defiantly rather been sleeping! We have a (leaking :( ) flat roof over the lounge, so an extra alarm on the GF, was looking at the Nest Protects for Fire and CO2.

We will need a new kitchen and bathrooms at some point soon so plan on doing the kitchen lights now and sockets and bathrooms later but want to make sure we have the capacity for them, and run the extra cables needed to fused switches for the bathrooms while holes are being made.

The Jury is out on the USB sockets...

My advice is "get it right the first time" . Get all your hidden services done first (electrics, plumbing, drains, phone/tv cables etc), the amount of people who renovate houses without any thought to the above items is unreal. I knew someone who plastered his whole house, then had bother with electrics....yes 1960s TRS wiring!

And an interlinked heat detector in the kitchen is a must, as I found out when i set a chip pan on fire. if i'd not had that detector installed, i'd not be typing now.

Reply to House Rewire - Anything Missing? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net