Discuss House rewire - Certfied Work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JLeague

-
DIY
Reaction score
So I am going to get some quotes for a house re-wire, The consumer unit is 6 Ways.

I am a but confused with the following:

Now who informs the council after the work is done? The electrician or myself?

Also what standards should I ask for? NICEIC or NAPIT

afaik, you get a completion cert. from council, usually about a month after the job is completed. on completion of the works, you should receive a EIC ( electrical installation certificate) directly from the electrician. this usually gets handed over on settlement of the invoice.

afaik, you get a completion cert. from council, usually about a month after the job is completed. on completion of the works, you should receive a EIC ( electrical installation certificate) directly from the electrician. this usually gets handed over on settlement of the invoice.

Thanks.

So whose name do I put down on the Certificate as both myself and my wife are on the Council Tax Bill but the house is actually in my name.

You get naught from LBC. Whichever Scheme your electrician is in, it will send you a Compliance Certificate, and the notifiable work is registered with your LBC.

Most Schemes have on-line certification, the Compliance Cert is automatically generated when the electrician completes the EIC.

If the electrician doesn’t use their software, he/she will still use their on-line process to file the Compliance Certificate.

The Compliance Certificate, doesn’t require householder name, it relates to the address. If there‘s a landlord, it will go to them.

Edit; less of course, the electrician is not in a Scheme, then it gets more complicated.

This has got me thinking... what does the LABC do with the notification ? Just file it ? I know that when you do a 'Local Authority Search' on house purchase, there's no mention of any notifiable work being recorded. Can't think of any other uses.

Just wondering if it's all a total waste of taxpayers money... and just a bureaucratic charade.

This has got me thinking... what does the LABC do with the notification ? Just file it ? I know that when you do a 'Local Authority Search' on house purchase, there's no mention of any notifiable work being recorded. Can't think of any other uses.

Just wondering if it's all a total waste of taxpayers money... and just a bureaucratic charade.
We have had requests from solicitors for copies of EIC's because they have picked up that notifiable work has been carried out and the vendor has lost the paperwork. Presumably the solicitors have got that info from BC?

probably gets filed in the great paper dustbin in the sky along with all other randomly notified stuff like windows

I got a call once, from a builder who said a client was selling his house and needed a part P cert for some work done, years previously. They both said I hadn't provided one. I checked records on the pc and found that I had and gave him the cert number. They followed it up and got a copy.
I don't know where from....but I should have charged the cheeky b.....s

With my council, all notifiable work is registered on the BC web site. Includes, new gas boilers, new windows, new electrical circuits etc. It’s not under planning, but building regs department.

Ive done some searches for others for other different council. Their web site and records aren’t so good.

So I asked the electrician and he said he is registered and the way it works is that he logs onto the NICEIC website and uploads the data, who then share it with LBC.

Also as I am going for a rewire he said the new regs are that any rewire now requries a new consumer unit. Is this correct?

Also he said no light switches in the bathroom - have to be pull cords. I have read online and its unclear.

Last edited:
If the consumer unit satisfies current requirements for construction and circuit protection it doesn't necessarily need replacing. Wall switches can be fitted in bathrooms providing they are not in a prohibited zone and are suitable for the environment.

The consumer unit must be compliant with current regulations, i.e. non-combustible construction. Depending in risk assessment would possibly require SPD (surge protection), but TBH the cost is that cheap now you might as well just install them.

Light switch must be suitable for the location in a location containing a bath or shower and installed outside of the zones.

Can we drop the "Part P registered" rubbish. There is no such thing.
For the OP. If you have notifiable work done then there are two options available to you :
1) You employ an electrician who is a member of an approved scam, err scheme, e.g. NICEIC or Napit. The electrician will do the work, then notify via their scheme - which costs very little.
You will get a certificate from the scheme.
2) You use an electrician who is not a scheme member. In that case YOU are responsible for notifying your LABC Dept before the work starts. Costs vary wildly, but can run to hundreds of quid.
You will get a completion certificate from your LABC Dept.

Thanks.

So whose name do I put down on the Certificate as both myself and my wife are on the Council Tax Bill but the house is actually in my name.

Council tax is completely different part of the council so has no relevance.

The notification for part P will be done for the property so it will be the address of the property that it gets registered to.

Reply to House rewire - Certfied Work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock