Discuss House rewire lighting circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Im relatively freshly qualified and registered so still coming up against new challenges.

I have a client who has requested a rewire but they also want minimum damage to flooring etc. Hopefully loft access means I can get to first floor lighting cables but ground floor ceiling lighting could be tricky.

Provided testing on current cabling comes within correct values is it okay to reuse??

Also, whilst sticking with safe zones is it acceptable to chase around corners, I presume as my chasing tool won't get right into the corners a chisel will have to do the tight spot?

As a side note, install has every variety of back box surface mounted even with big fat finger holes, L/N reversed, sockets with no Earth, trailing cables in front of doors no main earth supply - otherwise its perfect!!!

A difficult job then, I would suggest you tell your client he needs a EICR prior to any rewire, with the state if the wiring that you have mentioned, a complete rewire is required not just the lighting, is the bonding OK? what about RCD protection as you are chasing in all the cabling?

From what you describe it don't sound great. It would be difficult to say from a distance whether the existing lighting cables are okay, you need to test it and give it a thorough inspection but if the power circuits are how you describe, the lighting may well be the same.

As others have said get the test gear out first and do a full periodic. It may end up being a full rewire but equally if a few results come back good you could save the customer a few shillings.
If you're new to periodic testing which it sound like you may be it might be an idea to enlist the help of an experienced Tester.
Good luck either way.

The customer seems to have made the strategic decision to have a 'rewire', probably based on a visual inspection and the age of the property, one assumes you've come to the same decision on the same basis. Unless you are going to do the EICR for free, why waste £200 of the customers money, when they want it 'rewired'?

If you going to 'rewire', then it's floors up or ceilings down. If I was paying for a 'rewire', I would not want any of the old cables used, unless they were very recent additions.

The customer seems to have made the strategic decision to have a 'rewire', probably based on a visual inspection and the age of the property, one assumes you've come to the same decision on the same basis. Unless you are going to do the EICR for free, why waste £200 of the customers money, when they want it 'rewired'?

If you going to 'rewire', then it's floors up or ceilings down. If I was paying for a 'rewire', I would not want any of the old cables used, unless they were very recent additions.
Absolutely, the customer will have to way up the cost, either floor up, or ceilings, maybe not all down, negotiating joist runs switch drops etc, it can be done, but time will have to be spent to minimize damage , which means more labour time.

Thanks for all the advice.

The plan was to do a complete rewire from the CCU upwards. There doesn't even seem to be a supply earth so power distributor coming out to rectify that then energy supplier fitting a main isolater switch before I begin.

I was going to suggest to the client that I could surface trunk cables to lighting roses if they really don't want any flooring or ceiling disturbed but that seems like a poor finish in my book.

Photo shows current fuseboard and supply etc. Far right of picture has a small terminal with three earth leads - one to fuseboard, one to bonding and one really long one that attaches to a water pipe, but nothing from supply.

Fortunately, the property isn't being lived in. I've advised the client of all the current failings with photos.

IMG_5852.JPG

I have only used trunking where access to the cavity above the ceiling is not possible, in your case it is.

Ugh. Make sure they are aware of the significant increase in cost and time due to the floor not being able to be lifted to facilitate the rewire, as well as the increased plastering needed to repair chased walls.

Ugh. Make sure they are aware of the significant increase in cost and time due to the floor not being able to be lifted to facilitate the rewire, as well as the increased plastering needed to repair chased walls.

Definately... I'm guessing the chance of being able to pull through the old cables through where the ceiling rose is will probably be a complete no hope...

Reply to House rewire lighting circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net