Discuss House Survey in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Tiger

What a joke, just been to a customers to have a look at a few jobs to price up. Whilst doing this a looked at one of the switches, No earth so i thought i better check one of the light fittings as well (cu inpossible to get to :mad:). Sure enough no earth in the lighting cicuit.

She bought the property about a year ago and said she was suprised it did not come up in the survey, so i asked if she had it.

This is what it said.

Electrical
Visual inspection of cables only no fittings removed or tested.

What a complete waste of money, talk about covering your back and how the hell did they look at any cables there are none visible. :confused:

What a joker....maybe the last owner only paid for visual inspection and think they get away as safety electrical certificate and job done.....However they did....!!!

Our spark only do what customer asked for. however we should recommend the correct and safety...! cos now a day we keep stick to the rules we all live on bread and butter...!!!

I did a job yesterday extend and changing to spotlights, earth wire not even protect with earth tape on all wiring....this job was done more than 10 years ago as owner said. while i was wiring it i also put the earth sleve on all sockets as required, get customer happy and job done for me....take abit of time explain to customer and you will get more job comin your way...!!!...

Problem you get with this sort of thing is that even though we want to make sure the customer is both compliant and happy with the work, when we present them with a list about all the redemials to put the system right they get the impression that they are being ripped off.

They believe that because the last person to look at the electrics (a plastic spark no doubt) didn't mention any of the things that you have pointed out and that their system is ok.

And lets face it if there is a difference to pay out of say £500 to bring their system back to being compliant with the regualtions, why should they chose your word over the previous sparks and pay out the extra money?

At least if the consumers use the correct channels, something can be done about being ripped off by visual inspection only inspections with no fittings removed or tested.

The problem i have is they want to fit an extractor fan. I can't see how this is possible whithout upgrading the lighting circuit.
The second problem is it's top floor flat, no access to the ceiling voids and it is a very plush flat with high ceilings very expensive coveings. would cost thousands to wire and re plaster and match coveing.

Reply to House Survey in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock