Discuss How badly does my house need rewiring? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

That switch is ridiculous but what does it do?

Could it be a way of doing the stair light without two way switching? You just go upstairs and put your hand down through a hole to switch off. I think its the way forward, save cable, save the environment!

Regardless of the installation which an EICR would provid information wether it requires rewiring or not the thing i noticed in the pictures is the fact that the whole room where the cutout and consumer unit is is full of conbustable material and looking at it its under the staires i may be wrong but its not a good combination and in the event of a fault could well cause a fire and block an escape route , here a article from the ESC As part of its electrical fire safety campaigning, the Electrical Safety Council has made a supply of labels and leaflets available to Fire & Rescue Services (FRS) across the UK. They warn householders not to store combustible materials close to the electrical intake equipment in their homes.

The label and leaflet will be offered to householders by FRS fire prevention officers during their home safety visits. The warning is particularly appropriate where, for example, the electrical intake equipment (service head, meter and fuse box) is in a cupboard which is used to store items such as coats, cleaning materials and other items that can be easily ignited. Fires in under-stair cupboards are particularly dangerous, as the means of escape from upstairs can be cut off.

This joint initiative with the Chief Fire Officers Association (CFOA) followed an investigation by East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service into the cause of a fatal fire in Eastbourne, and then into a number of other fires in domestic and similar properties in their area, that had started in the vicinity of electrical intake equipment. The most likely cause of the fires was found to be resistance heating at deteriorating cable terminations and fuse contacts.

Whilst the number of such incidents is relatively small, some have caused real risk to life due to the nature and circumstances of how and when the fires occur (often at night when people are asleep, combined with the typical location of an electrical intake being near the means of escape from a property).

Whilst electrical equipment is designed to contain the thermal effects of faults, overheating can and does ignite materials that are in close proximity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to How badly does my house need rewiring? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock