Discuss How can I power windows when car is unlocked? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

FR Ray

DIY
Reaction score
Hi folks, I've finally got around to registering on an electrical forum and asking a question that's been on my mind for a long time. Back in the good old days of manual winding windows, if you were sitting in a friend's car you could raise and lower the windows as you please. But these days you need a key in the ignition, and switched to ACC or ON for the windows to work.

So I would like to figure out a way to control the windows when the car's doors are unlocked. Would I somehow tap into the door actuator's electrical system, and power all the windows from the position of that? Is it part of the car's ECU, as in it would be impossible to do this? Please let me know if you have any ideas on going about this. Thanks ;)

all depends on what car. e.g. we have a Ford Grand C max. windows operate as usual with ignition on. however, once switched off and out the car, holding down the lock button on the remote for 5 - 6 seconds will wind up any open windows. conversely, when approaching the locked car, holding down the unlock will open all windows. on a newish vehicle, this might be achievable, but would require the services of an auto spark wizzard.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I have a 2006 Subaru Forester. The key has to be turned to the ON position for the windows to work. If possible, I'd like them to be individually controllable when the doors are unlocked, rather than all windows go down or up.

Hmm.....

maybe divert the feed to the windows from ign.on to a perm supply, ( making sure it's fused appropriately.) find the fuse that feed them, then ttransfer feed to a permanent fuse.

This is looking at this from a logical point of view....

Well telectrix just put what I was going to suggest.

This is looking at this from a logical point of view....

Well telectrix just put what I was going to suggest.
obviously my hangover recovered quicker than your's. o_O o_O o_O

May need a battery with a bigger capacity - if you stop start too often ( Modern calcium ones seem more touchy )
...Electric window use was 1st thing I chose to be careful with ,if battery got a bit low !
(Also have to consider affordability of spare window parts -wear n tear)

Here's a wiring diagram from the service manual I found. A permanent supply would be one option, but insurance may not be keen on permanently powered windows. If I changed the power input, could I direct that where I wanted and still have full control? I could put a secret power kill switch for when I lock it?

How can I power windows when car is unlocked? MSA5T0726A161948 power window system-page-001 - EletriciansForums.net

Here's a wiring diagram from the service manual I found. A permanent supply would be one option, but insurance may not be keen on permanently powered windows. If I changed the power input, could I direct that where I wanted and still have full control? I could put a secret power kill switch for when I lock it?

View attachment 52406
Yes , you may have to consider unsupervised children or vulnerable passengers.

Yeah nah, thats why I want to lock the windows with the doors. An unlocked door is more of a danger to unsupervised children or vulnerable passengers yeah?

Please help someone!! Anyone!?

Reply to How can I power windows when car is unlocked? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock