Discuss how can intruder alarm activate lighs? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A customer asked me to put in something which can make the lights on if the intruder alarm activates, how to do that? he said someone else told him it is a contact, where can i buy it?

thanks everyone,

you can see if the alarm panel has volt free n/o contacts or a 12v output when activated. the you can use this to switch a contactor to control the lights

search for normally open single pole contactor. You need to do as hawk81 said first tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a lot for your replies guys, sorry for my silly question again, how can i fix a contactor? do i need to buy some kind of box,like a consumer unit for mcbs?

You'll need an enclosure with a din rail mounting in it. You can buy poly adaptable boxes with deep lids, ideal for housing contactors & relays etc.

Just buy some din rail and mount them in one of these......

150 x 110 x 140mm IP56 Moulded Box44216
150 x 110 x 140mm IP56 Moulded Box

Boxes with smooth walls for junctions and electrical components
with hinged, Deep screw down lids and facility to attach a security seal

Last edited by a moderator:
or just a small relay with a 12v coil,depends on the load,if its in the alarm panel dont forget to mark it up as fed from different supply to the panel

thanks guys, basicly i get the idea, but about the wiring still not quite sure.

can i connect the lights using 2 parralle cables, one from switch, one from the connator, which is connected with the low voltage cable from the alarm, is this correct?

thanks again guys

This method is used to deter an intruder and also enhances cctv images.

thanks guys, basicly i get the idea, but about the wiring still not quite sure.

can i connect the lights using 2 parralle cables, one from switch, one from the connator, which is connected with the low voltage cable from the alarm, is this correct?

thanks again guys

From a one way switch take another perm live to relay common contact and an addition switched line to relay NO contact. Connect the ELV signal from alarm panel to A1 & A2.

From a two way switch extend the strappers into common and NO contacts of relay. Connect the ELV signal from alarm panel to A1 & A2.

depending on the customers requirement and the alarm panel,you could programme the panel output to pulse,done it a few times on some 500w halogen fittings,makes them flash on and off,very effective with a siren going off also,

Reply to how can intruder alarm activate lighs? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net