Discuss How comfortable should I be with my DIY wiring? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've added some soffit lights (upstairs and downstairs), and I've added a fused spur in my back room.

It all works and, to the best of my ability, it's as safe as possible - but (simply put) I'm not an electrician.

I've been regularly consulting a mate of mine for bits I'm confused about so I was happy with it but growing increasingly paranoid since it's not been done by a professional. I'm considering getting it certified, but that led me to thinking (for people who aren't qualified) what exactly should we be comfortable with doing our own wiring around the home? Maybe it should all be done professionally, but then does that mean a call-out for even swapping a light fitting or moving a ceiling rose? Where should I draw the line?

Just to be clear, my first priority is safety. I've tried to cover all bases, but it doesn't have a cert and there might be some regs I'm in breach of for things I'm not aware of.

Open to any criticism/opinion here - had some great advice from you guys in the know in previous threads.

Reactions: DPG
It is not a black and white situation all the time.

some people have the skills required to do a DIY job better than some profesionals and others do such a poor job, it can be surprising that the person in question still has a heart beat.

Bottom line, stay well within your own comfort zone with regards to the jobs you undertake with the skills that you have.

the most important and often overlooked thing is the earthing of circuits, especially where there are exposed metal surfaces. think metal light fittings and chrome light switches etc.

the most common DIY question posted on here is along the lines of,

I have changed my light fitting or my light switch and now the downstairs lights wont come on,

or I have removed the old ceiling rose, intending to put up this nice ikea fitting.
there are 3 red wires, 3 black wires and 3 stripy green and yellow.

I have put the red wires into the live, black wires into the neutral and green/yellow into a connector block. when I turned on the switch it went bang and now I cant get anything to work.

There is a huge difference between knowing by testing and guessing by colours and google/ you tube assistance.

It is not a black and white situation all the time.

some people have the skills required to do a DIY job better than some profesionals and others do such a poor job, it can be surprising that the person in question still has a heart beat.

Bottom line, stay well within your own comfort zone with regards to the jobs you undertake with the skills that you have.

the most important and often overlooked thing is the earthing of circuits, especially where there are exposed metal surfaces. think metal light fittings and chrome light switches etc.

the most common DIY question posted on here is along the lines of,

I have changed my light fitting or my light switch and now the downstairs lights wont come on,

or I have removed the old ceiling rose, intending to put up this nice ikea fitting.
there are 3 red wires, 3 black wires and 3 stripy green and yellow.

I have put the red wires into the live, black wires into the neutral and green/yellow into a connector block. when I turned on the switch it went bang and now I cant get anything to work.

There is a huge difference between knowing by testing and guessing by colours and google/ you tube assistance.

Thanks for the reply mate! Really appreciate it.

I'm upto speed with enough of the basics and if there's something I don't understand I don't just have a crack at it - but you simply don't know what you don't know.

Another question - a good friend of mine worked with it for a very long time at a senior level before changing his line of work, he could check over it in detail for safety, but not officially give it the cert (his quals have expired) - would you say that's enough of a reassurance?

There are a huge amount of resources available online, and if you have enough of an interest to ask these questions I would say you're more than capable of disseminating the information you find when researching in order to do a good job. It's how I have learnt!

Get yourself a copy of the 18th Edition On Site Guide as well if you haven't already - it's useful to have.

Reply to How comfortable should I be with my DIY wiring? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net