Discuss How did the market change after the grant/FIT was removed? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello All,

We're primarily an EV charger installer and, as many of you know, there is a grant system in place for this. It essentially means we have to adhere to strict procedures etc for the installations. However....this will not last forever, potentially another year or so. With this in mind I am wondering what could happen with the removal of the grant.

Given that this happened in solar, what were the results/changes in the market/way things were done and how did affect you/your company?

Thanks

I'm not in the Solar or EV charger business, in fact I'm retired.
But I have watched developments over the years.

There's no comparison between Solar and EV regards to Grants / FIT.
FIT was / is worth thousands if not 10's of thousands for the early birds.
EV is worth £350.

I'd say the loss of EV grant will have absolutely no effect on take up.

Yes, I understand that. I meant from the installer market viewpoint rather than the customer. I am assuming installers had to be registered etc to claim the grant for customers etc in a similar way it does for EV chargers and for some companies, dealing with the government just wasn't worth it?

I may of course be completely wrong and the solar industry never operated like this...

To be honest,the EV market,in terms of charge point fitment,will sooner or later,be determined by capacity and infrastructure,and not grants.

.....with air and ground source,heat recovery,UFH,power showers,and those two,new Tesla's at No.42.....gonna be getting closer to all the neighbours,so we can decide a system of allocating the golden spoon fairly,to the lucky house able to have two items switched on at once...??

I think the removal of the grant is a good thing, regardless of your thoughts on the Government and Chancellor the country has a huge national debt. if you can afford a new electric car at >35K or around £400 per month then an extra months payment or loss of £350 grant is not going to stop you making the switch from conventional car to electric. OLEV have recognised this which is why the grant scheme in current format will stop in March 2022 focusing instead on apartment blocks and shared chargers.
Some of my customers have 100k porsche EVs and claim the grant.. they dont need it!
Equally I think the grant especially when £500 inflated the cost of chargers and installs as it allowed for the price to be increased as customer paid x minus 500. as long as x was reasonable you could inflate accordingly.
I think going forward you are going to see some of the weaker brands and products exit the market, the likes of myenergi and andersen will still be around, podpoint will flourish due to the focus on apartments etc
In a few years time all chargers will likely have load management tech built in as this allows the use of an ev charger on a 60amp cut out fuse without risk of overloading the installation as per G100 in the ENA guidance on EV Charging.

My Daughter in Law had a free charge point from Nissan when she bought a 2 year old Nissan Leaf.
Free as in it was included in the sales package.
The deal didn't include any excavation so my Son dug a trench and under a path.

Reply to How did the market change after the grant/FIT was removed? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net