Discuss How difficult is electrical engineering HNC? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a nearly fully qualified electrician (waiting on AM2S in March) qualified to level 3 electrotechnical 2357. Once qualified I am looking to continue learning in order to progress my career into automation, controls and electrical engineering. I would like to do the HNC, just wondering if anyone on here could give me some advice about the HNC; how does the maths compare to the principles in the level 3 ? Also would you recommend doing the HNC (looking to get out of general sparkying)
Thanks in advance guys

That's a very difficult question to answer as it totally depends on your academic abilities. Which is different for everyone.

I taught it at college for a short time (actually hated the job so left!) And there were some that found it easy - just the next step and others (who were actually awesome in the practical side of things) - who couldn't understand it.

In general, anyone "into electrics" has enough interest to learn and follow the electrical side of the course, but the biggest stumbling block is the maths.

In the C&G stuff the maths is merely basic such as addition, subtraction, multiplication etc.

In hnc you will need calculus, complex numbers, and trigonometry.

Whilst these aren't difficult it is a change from what you will be used to.

There is a good book called Engineering Mathematics by Ken Stroud , find a copy of this (older versions or pdf are fine) and see if you can follow it.

This is what you will be learning in the maths part of hnc.

You will need the complex numbers and trig for the electrical aspects, and occasionally the more simple examples of calculus.

You don't need to be ace with calculus for hnc, although you may go through examples of the harder portions in the maths part of the course, elsewhere it's the easier aspects, so don't let the hard bits of the book put you off.

I think Ken did an advanced engineering mathematics book as well - you do NOT want this one. That is for university level engineering.

Hi Julie, thanks for your reply.
You have made fair points which I understand and thanks again for your help. I certainly remember the level 3 principles being more advanced than “adding, subtracting and multiplication” however, so I feel that is a little harsh on that. I am looking to do the HNC via distance learning with Unicourse (recommended to me), and I feel that if all necessary learning material is provided I would be able to get through the maths. From your experience teaching this, am I right to assume all relevant material will be provided in order to complete the assignment work? And also due to it being distance learning, I assume the assignments are all open book so you can use notes to apply to the questions you get given?
Thanks again for your reply Julie, much appreciated 👍

Yes all the information is provided.

Although there is a little more maths in C&G than I said, it really is around a C grade in gcse - so yes a little bit of algebra, simple trig etc.

Hnc will build on this , do take a look at the book I suggested, there are two sections on complex numbers, you would need to understand the first rather well, (not too much of the second). You will also need to understand differentiation and integration, these aren't subjects you would be familiar with either.

These appear somewhat "abstract " for many people as everything in maths up to that point is "relatable "

Yes some of the algebra will be similar, as will graphing and solution of simple linear equations.

It tends to be "abstract " things that many appeared to find difficult - often they could plough through the 'hard' algebra or trig etc but complex numbers and calculus were a major stumbling block for many (although a large portion of these completed the course anyhow - they just had to be prepared to work hard at it)

It was back in the late '80s early '90s when I taught at college, so it may be a bit different, but the content is basically the same.

Good day, I am an electrical engineering student in my second year, second semester. I am suppose to take an internship in June 2023. I feel like I have known nothing so far as an electrical engineering student. All the labs and practicals conducted in school, I was able to ace them but it seems once I am done with a semester, I kinda forget most things we covered but I still have an idea of how it works and now I have this imposter syndrome feeling like if I get out there to the world or for my forthcoming internship, I might underperform. I need advice about this. Do I get live experience from the internships cause it feels like everything I am being taught in school just gives me an idea , tons of equations like am I meant to remember all of these equations? Please I need to detailed reply . Thank you

Good day, I am an electrical engineering student in my second year, second semester. I am suppose to take an internship in June 2023. I feel like I have known nothing so far as an electrical engineering student. All the labs and practicals conducted in school, I was able to ace them but it seems once I am done with a semester, I kinda forget most things we covered but I still have an idea of how it works and now I have this imposter syndrome feeling like if I get out there to the world or for my forthcoming internship, I might underperform. I need advice about this. Do I get live experience from the internships cause it feels like everything I am being taught in school just gives me an idea , tons of equations like am I meant to remember all of these equations? Please I need to detailed reply . Thank you
I probably remember off the top of my head, 10% of the equations i have been taught.
of those i probably regularly use 5% to 10% of them (2% to 4% of total)

the important thing is, I remember that some things that seem impossible can be estimated or calculated by using more complex maths like simultaneous equations and calculus.

I will look up some of the more complex maths if i need it but for what i keep in the "general use" section of my brain, just remembering the equations and theory's exist is good enough to enable me to know it can be done and I can do it.

DONT PANIC, it will be fine.

I probably remember off the top of my head, 10% of the equations i have been taught.
of those i probably regularly use 5% to 10% of them (2% to 4% of total)

the important thing is, I remember that some things that seem impossible can be estimated or calculated by using more complex maths like simultaneous equations and calculus.

I will look up some of the more complex maths if i need it but for what i keep in the "general use" section of my brain, just remembering the equations and theory's exist is good enough to enable me to know it can be done and I can do it.

DONT PANIC, it will be fine.
Thank you so much for sharing this.

if you are ok with maths then you will be ok, all the people i did the hnc with struggled with the maths, about 60 % passed and the other 40% failed in the maths. this was a long time ago so dont really know about now.

I am wanting to know what modules in the Maths section of the HNC program it covers. I am due to start in September and maths isn't my strongest subject and I'm hoping to do some extra work now in order to prepare me as I haven't studied / been to college in over 4 years ?

Any help or advice is much appreciated :)

I am wanting to know what modules in the Maths section of the HNC program it covers. I am due to start in September and maths isn't my strongest subject and I'm hoping to do some extra work now in order to prepare me as I haven't studied / been to college in over 4 years ?

Any help or advice is much appreciated :)
You should be able to Google the course number and download the guide books. It will go though the criteria you need to meet, the tutor will just phrase a question to demonstrate your understanding. The college will also pick the units so you will need the unit numbers from them. Analytical method for engineers will probably be one. You will cover a lot of maths in other units such as electrical and electronic principals.

As Julie said a good grasp on differentiation, integration and complex numbers will be of great help. I'd recommend speaking to the college, they sent out revision material when I done mine.

I completed the BTEC level 3 before the HNC and D and even the BTEC was a massive step up from C&G. I found khan academy helpful for revision and to help me keep up.

I still don't understand Fourier analysis and Laplace transforms though.

I’m
Hi everyone, I am a nearly fully qualified electrician (waiting on AM2S in March) qualified to level 3 electrotechnical 2357. Once qualified I am looking to continue learning in order to progress my career into automation, controls and electrical engineering. I would like to do the HNC, just wondering if anyone on here could give me some advice about the HNC; how does the maths compare to the principles in the level 3 ? Also would you recommend doing the HNC (looking to get out of general sparkying)
Than

Any help or advice is much appreciated

I’m currently doing the hnc through unicourse and I’ve completed the maths, science and electrical principles, I can send you some examples if you like to see what you think

Reply to How difficult is electrical engineering HNC? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net