Discuss How do I do this ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MRES

I recieved a phone call today from a guy who had his extension started by an electrician who has now disappeared from the face of the earth. The extension is finished however the toilet extract fan is missing and there is no certificate for building control. Fitting a fan is no problem but how will this guy get the work signed off ? Can I do a periodic on the installation or will he have to pay the council to come and take a look ? Oh and the Consumer wants upgrading too.

Get the customer to contact his BCO & ask what he needs to do & if a periodic will suffice (expect a resounding no).
Why does the cu need upgrading?

Contact BC and ask there advise. No spark worth his salt will sign it off. Did the original spark inform building control before starting work? or was he a member of a competent person scheme.

The customer does not know if the sparky was in a scheme he did not even know about part p until today. The consumer unit has a RCD main switch although the system is a TNCS and some of the circuits are sharing MCB`s with no spare ways to split them. Looks like he is buggered

Looks like he is buggered

It does look that way. Because there has been a breach in BC regulations in the first instance (probably) i think your only option is to contact BC and ask there advise.

It may work out in your favor in the end if you can get the work:D

Contact BC and ask there advise. No spark worth his salt will sign it off. Did the original spark inform building control before starting work? or was he a member of a competent person scheme.

Do BC need to know before you start work? I thought you could tell them after:confused: even if your like me and not with anybosy

The adise given has been good. Building control will provide the answers to the customer and with a bit of luck you should pick up a decent job out of it. Personnaly I would also drop a hint to the customer about contacting Trading Standards about the other "electrician". Whilst it is not a good thing generally to criticise other electricians (unless what they have done is down right illegal or dangerous) this man has brought the reputation of the industry down and unfortunately we all get tarred with the same brush. We do not need people like this in the industry!!!!

Sorry about the rant.

I agree entirely but we really are only hearing the customers side..I have been in a similar situation where I first fixed a kitchen and extension and paid a friend (on the day) to lend a hand was told that the kitchen fitter had been delayed and they would get back to me when I was wanted to second fix.

I got no phone call at all for weeks so I repeatedly rang and rang (cus i'd had no money and paid out for materials and labour out of my own pocket) and finally went down there and waited for the owner to come home I confronted him and he told me that he'd tried to ring :)rolleyes:) and to come back the following week.

I went back with my mate and nobody was in!:mad: I rang them and they apologised and asked for me to return next day(which I could'nt do) so when I explained that its unfair for me to be expected to work that way I was given abuse and told they would get back to me.

I gave up after a few more phone calls and put it down to experience (cost me around £200) but later I was speaking to a sparkie who finished my job:eek: and he was told that I'd gone and first fixed took the full cost of the job and refused to go back:mad: they had also told everyone to steer clear of me cus im a rip off merchant!!! this sparkie was angry cus he was sucked in to teir sob story and did it for peanuts

Some people! not ony got away with not paying me but also tried to ruin my reputation and ripped off someone else!

BTW I know its not the same but moral is that customers are not always the innocent parties

Last edited by a moderator:
A valid point "monty" and perhaps my rant was not thought out as well as it should have been. One good thing about getting Trading Standards in is that if they take the case up they will give the other electrician the opportunity to give his side and they will also records their findings so they can actually be of benefit to a "wronged" tradesman.

I think that your encounter also shows that the "follow up" sparks should also ensure that he is not being taken for a ride too and sort out method of payment prior to starting any work needed.

Again "monty" a very valid point and one which needed being made.

Do BC need to know before you start work? I thought you could tell them after:confused: even if your like me and not with anybosy

Sorry to hear about your experience montybaber - the perils of being in a people-based job (computers are much nicer :D ).

As to your question - one should allow two clear working days, from the date of the commencement notice given to BC, before starting the work. This is for when a 'building notice' as opposed to a 'full plans and specification application' is given to BC.

Some LABC's do 'bend' the rules slightly for this type of situation and SOMETIMES will accept a full PIR for the completion cert.

As has been said, the customer must phone them and explain the problem and most of the time they will be quite accommodating.

Be careful. It's not unknown for customers to get work done on the cheap then spin a yarn for a qualified sparky to test and certify the work. The new CU could be part of it - you replace it and have to do a periodic. Do the fan and issue the certificate for the fan only. Tell customer to get BC to check the other work and if he STILL wants the CU changing - do it after the BC's certification.

The adise given has been good. Building control will provide the answers to the customer and with a bit of luck you should pick up a decent job out of it. Personnaly I would also drop a hint to the customer about contacting Trading Standards about the other "electrician". Whilst it is not a good thing generally to criticise other electricians (unless what they have done is down right illegal or dangerous) this man has brought the reputation of the industry down and unfortunately we all get tarred with the same brush. We do not need people like this in the industry!!!!

Sorry about the rant.

heer heer

From what I can see bc shouldn’t accept a pir as there wouldn’t be any certification on the work , I believe you can put a certificate on the extension under extenuating circumstances but again if it goes belly up its your behind they want

In all honesty walk away it’s not worth the headache work is not that quiet

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to How do I do this ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock