Discuss How do I get into project management? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m a first year apprentice.

I already have an idea of what I want to do with my career, I want to complete my apprenticeship and then move into project management? I was looking at completing the C&G 2369 electrical design course, once I’ve finished this apprenticeship. Will this help me get closer to becoming a project manager? My overall goal would be to start my own company, and manage my own jobs and hire people to do them for me.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks

Good to have aims and goals and know where you want to go, but learn to walk before you run!
Getting a job with a large company where they have specific project engineers dept. will help and climb the ladder from within.
Somewhat mirrors my path as tried to get into project management too but it didn't work out and jumped to the next phase, (ie starting own business) which now been over 35 years is seen as a success!

There are courses on project management that will help too.

Good to have aims and goals and know where you want to go, but learn to walk before you run!
Getting a job with a large company where they have specific project engineers dept. will help and climb the ladder from within.
Somewhat mirrors my path as tried to get into project management too but it didn't work out and jumped to the next phase, (ie starting own business) which now been over 35 years is seen as a success!

There are courses on project management that will help
Yeah, I wanted to get a bit of experience dealing with clients, and getting some projects behind me before I start with my own company. I want to learn how to deal with different situations and projects that way when I go on my own And if I get any big projects then I’ll know how to handle them. Plus I’ll be able to subby other people to do the work for me while I manage the projects.

would you say doing the electrical drawing course will be helpful and then doing the project management courses? The company I’m with now is a small company got about 4-5 sparks on the road a few contract managers and admin staff. So I’m not sure if there will be space for me to grow there, but it’s a mixture of work so I’ll get experience in al areas of electrics

You have to have a logical disciplined mind to succeed in Project Management, understand and be able to draw up critical path analysis, gantt charts and resources schedules, if you can do that your be half way there.

Have a look at Visio, they did have a free electrical drawing programme on offer, don't know if its still available.

How do I get into project management? Electric layout French Rev G - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:

Reply to How do I get into project management? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock