Discuss How do I install a Home Media System in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pmosely

Friend of mine called, he priced up to have a home media system supplied and installed to include 5 Plasma screens and all the cabling throughout - they said £50k - naturally he fell of his stool. He then asked me if I could do it. I said I'd find out how it was done then let him know if I could do it. Anyone know how to install a system or have a manual or guidance doc. At a guess from the Sky dish I need to split the signal boost it and link the box so it can be accessed from each room. But if anyone can help appreciate it - thanks.

Bit more info and i can help , Ive just finished a 8 screen set up spliting 8 different signals into one or all or multiple TV's . First thing you better find out is does he want HD on all the plasmas?

Yes full HD, wants to link all rooms to Sky needs his boy to have all the playstations etc..attached and cables out of sight also needs four TV's one in main bedroom and his sons room also one in the kitchen and one in the front room -he needs to be able to operate sky in each room and to change channel without affecting others so wants to split the operation as I understand that means if wifey is watching Eastenders he wants to watch footy somewhere else and his son able to watch something else. He wants new everything TV's speakers etc - I assume this type of system would come with a speaker system - bit grey area for me. I suppose the skys the limit - I did say was not sure and I'd find out. Can a music stereo system be linked throughout at same time???? cheers

Friend of mine called, he priced up to have a home media system supplied and installed to include 5 Plasma screens and all the cabling throughout - they said £50k - naturally he fell of his stool. He then asked me if I could do it. I said I'd find out how it was done then let him know if I could do it. Anyone know how to install a system or have a manual or guidance doc. At a guess from the Sky dish I need to split the signal boost it and link the box so it can be accessed from each room. But if anyone can help appreciate it - thanks.

do you not think your taking something on a bit big,were obviously not just talking sky multiroom here,is it more of a premier footballer set up,cables alone will cost a fortune on those runs

The original post said 50k so good leeway on cables and how do you know its not for a premier footballer .......Lot of presuming me thinks, Sorry
do you not think your taking something on a bit big,were obviously not just talking sky multiroom here,is it more of a premier footballer set up,cables alone will cost a fortune on those runs

I haven't decided if its to big for me yet - its a mate im doing it for and he is loaded and no he is not a footballer he is into finance - as long as I can get the design right cabling will be peace of cake and I want most of money up front - that leaves the progamming of tv's etc. so I'll have to work out a plan to get that done and of course a back up plan - if I get stuck, thanks for concern - i think the cost was based on prices about a year ago reading through his email again, but that's still a hefty price (but dont know quality of tvs he chose) AND to boot its a listed building lovely ...

Maybe a little high, but it all depends on what they have spec for the job, and what you customer has aked for ? prob more than just 5 displays with sky hd/play station

The original post said 50k so good leeway on cables and how do you know its not for a premier footballer .......Lot of presuming me thinks, Sorry

he also fell off his stool at 50k,i also asked if it was a premier footballer, presume away man..

For the audio, I like the QED Systemline modular which has a central audio hub linked to speakers via CAT5, link it to the QED video hub for the tv's. He can have a music server linked to the net. Or the NUVO system - Grand Concerto, 8 zones 6 inputs really neat wall plates.
Systemline

The only problem with those though scratch is the systemline and the NuVo only distribute composite video and not HD.

not alot of multiroom systems can do hi def as yet.

I work for a company at the moment who do home cinema rooms and multiroom and if you want a ps3 and sky HD in 5 rooms you would possibly need:

1 x HD Matrix (probably a 4 x in 8 x out is the nearest to your spec) upto £2000 - £3000 dependant on needs (intellix are quite good)
5 x HD extenders (most use 2x cat6) or hd cables long enough to suit (ethereal are the best ive used but pricey £600 - £800 per set but you can get cheaper ones)
1 x sky box
1 x ps3
either 1 x amp per room or a multiroom system to control it all (the NuVo or systemline could be used but not for the hd video distribution side) (prices depend on the system but again can be pricey)

Oh yeah and it may need programming too system dependant.

Steve.

I've looked around a house that has just been first fix for home automation, as I looked round there was standard cat5 wound in single galv boxes, also a green multicore cable (decided into 4 witting the inner sheeth, looks like a cat5 just decided up) not sure what this is called

I know the lighting in each room will be controlled via a computer/screen..

Anyone know what control panel this all might be connected upto... I'm unsure of what is exactly going on.... Lots of data cable in each room

Reply to How do I install a Home Media System in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock