Discuss How do I install an outlet ( metal junction box with a gfci ) under sink for dishwasher safely? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

craigwolf

DIY
Reaction score
I was having a dishwasher delivered from Best Buy but they wouldn't install unless I had a dedicated outlet for the new d/w plug. I looked up code and its supposed to be under sink. I went to Home Depot & Lowes and they told me I can do this myself. So each helper I talked to had a different plan. The one I decided upon was the metal junction box with gfci under the sink.

What they had there, the gfci didnt fit any metal handy boxes. So I had to pull tabs off of the box and the receptacle so it would fit in. I got the larger one to allow more space. I needed to get screws for the outside of the box and lots of things, some of them protruding in some manner. (screw from faceplate to hold the gfci in sticks out about 1/2 inch and I put a bolt around it.)

So, I:
1) Drilled the hole from d/w opening to under the sink. ( It was 1" hole that is recommended online, but the new d/w plug doesnt fit that, so it had to be 1 .5")

2) Electric off

3) Ran cord inside, put into the box hole. Attached the black to gold, white to silver, and the ground. The ground wire was hanging off the back exposed.

4) Pushed it together and the ground wire was touching the metal back of the junction box.

I then started to wonder if Im making some kind of mistake and want to get help on it. I saw online it talks about grounding the junction box. Im not sure what to do with the ground wire that would touch the back of the metal box, and possibly a metal screw touching the exposed ground wire.

How does the wiring and installation look and where do I go from here?

Its on a dedicated 20 breaker.

Attachments

• How do I install an outlet ( metal junction box with a gfci ) under sink for dishwasher safely? IMG_6739.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6739.JPG
    555 KB · Views: 7
  • How do I install an outlet ( metal junction box with a gfci ) under sink for dishwasher safely? IMG_6740.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6740.JPG
    480.4 KB · Views: 7
  • How do I install an outlet ( metal junction box with a gfci ) under sink for dishwasher safely? IMG_6741.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6741.JPG
    472.1 KB · Views: 7
  • How do I install an outlet ( metal junction box with a gfci ) under sink for dishwasher safely? IMG_6742.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6742.JPG
    458.9 KB · Views: 7
  • How do I install an outlet ( metal junction box with a gfci ) under sink for dishwasher safely? IMG_6743.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6743.JPG
    503.1 KB · Views: 7
  • How do I install an outlet ( metal junction box with a gfci ) under sink for dishwasher safely? IMG_6744.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6744.JPG
    378 KB · Views: 6
  • How do I install an outlet ( metal junction box with a gfci ) under sink for dishwasher safely? IMG_6745.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6745.JPG
    382.5 KB · Views: 6
  • How do I install an outlet ( metal junction box with a gfci ) under sink for dishwasher safely? IMG_6746.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6746.JPG
    455.9 KB · Views: 5
  • How do I install an outlet ( metal junction box with a gfci ) under sink for dishwasher safely? IMG_6747.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6747.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 5
  • How do I install an outlet ( metal junction box with a gfci ) under sink for dishwasher safely? IMG_6748.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6748.JPG
    292.3 KB · Views: 5
  • How do I install an outlet ( metal junction box with a gfci ) under sink for dishwasher safely? IMG_6751.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6751.JPG
    320.4 KB · Views: 5
  • How do I install an outlet ( metal junction box with a gfci ) under sink for dishwasher safely? IMG_6752.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6752.JPG
    427.2 KB · Views: 4
  • How do I install an outlet ( metal junction box with a gfci ) under sink for dishwasher safely? IMG_6753.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6753.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 4
  • How do I install an outlet ( metal junction box with a gfci ) under sink for dishwasher safely? IMG_6754.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_6754.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 6
I was having a dishwasher delivered from Best Buy but they wouldn't install unless I had a dedicated outlet for the new d/w plug. I looked up code and its supposed to be under sink. I went to Home Depot & Lowes and they told me I can do this myself. So each helper I talked to had a different plan. The one I decided upon was the metal junction box with gfci under the sink.

What they had there, the gfci didnt fit any metal handy boxes. So I had to pull tabs off of the box and the receptacle so it would fit in. I got the larger one to allow more space. I needed to get screws for the outside of the box and lots of things, some of them protruding in some manner. (screw from faceplate to hold the gfci in sticks out about 1/2 inch and I put a bolt around it.)

So, I:
1) Drilled the hole from d/w opening to under the sink. ( It was 1" hole that is recommended online, but the new d/w plug doesnt fit that, so it had to be 1 .5")

2) Electric off

3) Ran cord inside, put into the box hole. Attached the black to gold, white to silver, and the ground. The ground wire was hanging off the back exposed.

4) Pushed it together and the ground wire was touching the metal back of the junction box.

I then started to wonder if Im making some kind of mistake and want to get help on it. I saw online it talks about grounding the junction box. Im not sure what to do with the ground wire that would touch the back of the metal box, and possibly a metal screw touching the exposed ground wire.

How does the wiring and installation look and where do I go from here?

Its on a dedicated 20 breaker.
You are required to ground the box since it’s metal. Inside the box there is a hole that is threaded. Go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and buy you a green ground screw to install in your box. You need 1 ground to the box and outlet. Make sure you wire your cable on the line side of the GFCI which is labeled on the back

also you can strip the outer yellow insulation on that socket back a bit more as long as it's not outside the metal box
Would make it a lot easier for you to connect

Reply to How do I install an outlet ( metal junction box with a gfci ) under sink for dishwasher safely? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock